CLutch Pedal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyD40

Reaction score
Had a wierd thing happen whilst out driving last night - the High Tensile Spring to return the clutch pedal (meaning away from the floor) snapped.

I can still drive the car, the pedal feels different under foot. I think there is enough tension on whats left to keep the pedel in the 'up' position.

I've booked the Navara in to have the spring replaced under warrantee - next week wednesday.

I hope whats left of the spring does not fail, as my wife is doing an off-road training course (using MY car) this weekend.

Has this happend to anyone else who drive a manual navara ?

I hope whats left of the spring does not fail, as my wife is doing an off-road training course (using MY car) this weekend.

That will please the VNOG boys, they wont have to keep pulling your D40 out of the mud when you get it bogged :ha:

I'd also be pushing Nissan to get it done quicker than next week, it's not the sort of job that will take all day and I don't think it's the sort of thing I'd want hanging around specially not if the vehicle is being used this weekend. Of course if they are waiting on parts from Japan the plant only reopened last Thursday so things will be slow for a while but you'd hope they'd have parts like that in Aus anyway.

Can't say I've heard it happen in a Nav but I've seen it happen in a Mitsu FH-100 truck.

My problem with it is knowing how the pedal's returning now, unless I've misunderstood the issue.

With the spring pushing the pedal up gone, the only thing returning the pedal is the back-pressure through the hydraulic system from the pressure plate pushing on the throw-out (thrust) bearing.

That means that you've got constant light pressure on the back of the pressure plate, and at best that's going to warm things up a little more than usual, at worst it's going to make the clutch slip under extreme load.

More so than that, if the pedal is not quite returning to the stop it will not self adjust the clutch any more.

I have wondered a few times recently about replacing the spring with a standard extension spring, I do not particularly like the "Help" the over centering springs give you as the pedal nears the floor.

At this stage, the earliest the local dealer can fit me in is next week wednesday ... totally booked full. I asked if it could be done any sooner for such a simple thing - but they dont have the part in stock anyhow. Patience is better when the issue is simple, dont want to upset the dealership.

Only part of the spring has broken off, the main part is still intact and doing its job properly. I fully understand the comments that Old_Tony has made, and thought about that myself - i'm confident that i wont have problems with the pressure plate due to the partial spring failure.

If the remainder of the spring DOES fail, then i'll have to drive with my foot under the clutch pedal holding it up until i get the car home and park it. Then it will remain parked until NISSAN pick the car up to bring to the dealer.

Given you can drive from work to home on the starter motor you'll be right if it does break :ha:

Nah ... i'll just drive it right into the dealers showroom on my way home, leave it there then walk home. (or demand a loan car at least)

Bloody hell next thing you'll be expecting me to pick you up and drop you off at home on Friday. I haven't picked up in a long while so chances are you could be in for a treat.

Bloody hell next thing you'll be expecting me to pick you up and drop you off at home on Friday. I haven't picked up in a long while so chances are you could be in for a treat.

PMSL - your luck will NOT be changing thats for sure.

I've heard about you and doing hair doo's and the like, and it all sounds a bit to kinky for my taste.

the only thing i'm likely to share with you is a few of these - :cheers!: :cheers!: :cheers!:

promises promises ...

now can we get back to the clutch peddle and put a brake on the rest of the comments ...

IE back on topic ...

Spoil sport!! The "other" comments are keeping this thread at the top of the new threads list so it's always seen so they are in fact helping you :eviltongue:

Back