Reverse work light install help/ideas

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digbyj

Reaction score
Hey guys,
The time has come yet again for your help.
I bought 2 x led 18w lights (6x3w bulbs) with aluminum casings and about 100mm diameter.
My thought was to mount one to the rear step as a reverse light/camp light and hook it to my 2nd battery which will go in any day now.
Problems:
- if I mount on step when tailgate is down it may block some of the light? Could possibly mount 2nd light inside canopy window for camping use when window open?
- was thinking hook to 2nd battery and running a switch to the cab, will only need for reversing in dark obviously so could switch it manually?
Basically I want a reverse light that doubles as a work light, can use 1 and sell 1 or use both...
Now... rip my plans apart and tell me what I should do with them...
I will need to discuss wiring as well when I've worked it out..
Thanks in advance fellas! Marcus

The set-up i had was had both screwed to underside of my tray (steel tray on single cab), pointing roughly towards in line with edge of tray about 5m back. Made reversing heaps easier, just tilt up/out/down or whatever when needed as work lights, tilt back down for reversing again.

I would suggest to have it switched through an on/off/on switch. Have one "on" through reversing lights and the other for constant power.

Mitch

I am thinking of getting one light, wiring it to a cig plug (or similar) and putting a right angle bracket on it. It will live in the tub, but be brought out and clipped to the roof rack when camping. Doesn't help with reversing though. Just trying to find one with the 'clap' on 'clap' off function like Ian has.

Yeah thanks Mitch, like your switch idea.
Heata, Wots the clap clap??
Am thinking now I do one like you mounted to roof racks (or probably my home made awning mount!) and other as reverse light on rear step..
Cheers

Clap Clap only comes out at VNOG camping trips.............but once you've seen it you must have it. It is like it's owner, Navarian, very subtle but goes for maximum impact!

Why not mounted to the rear of your canopy? Does your canopy have an interior light? Run the wiring to the work light?

I like mitch's idea of how to switch the lights ... but i did it slightly differently.

digby - do you remember seeing my setup with the lights on the top of the canopy roof racks? keeps them well out of the way and full access to the tub and canopy.

I have them switch'd from the cabin of the car, with over-rider switch's in the canopy to turn them off when camping.

The reason i did it that way was technically they must be switched via reversing lights (like high beams and spotties) when used as reversing lights. This way i can have them as reversing or "work" lights. Every copper that has pulled me over asked, i told them exactly how and why done like that, and they were so impressed i did it so sensibly that they didn't care,and im a P plater lol

Mitch

Clap clap, wow cool.
Yeah ridgie, greatbthinking with the canopy wiring, where would you mount it on the canopy though, mines a high top akreadynso have to get clearance from Vic roads to go through the eastlink tunnel as it is!
And woody, yep great switch advice but again ok high if input a rack on my pope mobile canopy.
We're getting closer I think...

Fair call Mitch, think I'll do the same but I ain't no p plater no more! Would most likely leave it on otherwise and blind the poor fool following me!

Drill two holes in the canopy - some rubber grommets to act as seals and mount it with a metal brace inside the canopy for support. This just a thought I had and discussed with Heata and Navarian but neither seemed to like it.........so perhaps there is a good reason not to do it that way.

I run a pair the 4inch led lights for reverse lights
they light up so much more than i thought and mount in a rubber grommet no screws needed.
and since there LED you can just tap them into your current reverse light and it will work fine as the extra load is less than half that of your current reverse globes. Saves a bucket load of wiring. and if needed you can run a small wire and have an inline switch for it to backup as a work light LEDs are great cos they draw so little current no need for a relay or anything.

Thanks mad d40, ever had any probes with them on as permanent reverse lights being so bright? U know either with the Johnny hoppers or in a carpark people gettin the shits?
Thinks that's gonna be easiest, wire one to reverse lights and maybe have other with ciggy adaptor to 2nd battery for camping/other purposes.
Cheers

digby

i have mine mounted on 6mm cleat off the sides of my roof racks. I have also used nylon washers top and bottom (and nylock nuts) so that i can keep them slightly loose and turn them around when at a camp site

Fair call Mitch, think I'll do the same but I ain't no p plater no more! Would most likely leave it on otherwise and blind the poor fool following me!

i have only made THAT mistake once - very embarrased to get home from a 5minute trip to find the rear light were on ... having them wired correctly through the reverse light with a relay would have prevented the mistake on that occasion.

Thanks mad d40, ever had any probes with them on as permanent reverse lights being so bright? U know either with the Johnny hoppers or in a carpark people gettin the shits?
Thinks that's gonna be easiest, wire one to reverse lights and maybe have other with ciggy adaptor to 2nd battery for camping/other purposes.
Cheers

well there ADR approved im required by law to have rev lights.... i think

As for ppl in the car park....never bothered to think of them....as long as I can see and wow can I see!!! I only have like 1watt led combo between both my lights and there bright as bro!!!
You have 18wats a piece yours will be burn images into the cornia if looked at directly lol.

Put in the reverse light yesterday. Bloody bright, very impressed, great vision through canopy now! Started another thread as had a problem with the switch which I still haven't fixed?
Will put a cig adaptor on the other as a removable camp/work light.

here is a schematic for anyone that's interested
schematic5.jpg

Can anyone help me with wiring up my new lights? These light here ebay link I want to use the something similar to the diagram in the post above, but I also want to be able to switch them on from in my tub. Is it just a matter of connecting another power + and a switch and running it to the lights? so basically having 2 + positive cables to the lights?

after much searching i found a wiring diagram, see attached for anyone interested in putting in work lights on their ute
87adiagram.jpg

Josh

Last edited:
In the bottom picture above the switch would be switching full load of the lights (ok if small power LED, not so much if high power like halogen).

In the top picture one way would be to put another switch in parrallel between the battery positive and the relay coil if that makes sense?

Latest posts

Back