Slightly frustrating elec problem.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolusername

Reaction score
Hi,
I'v got either 3 separate little problems or one single problem in my '02 str. I'm a bit stumped. My windscreen washer, horn and spotlights don't go. Iv checked all the fuses that I could find, under drivers side dash and under bonnet and tested the circuit at the washer pump, horn and spotties to check they have power. The washer and horn light up my basic tester sweet as, the spot lights lit it up once then not at all so I checked the switch fot the spotties and it gets current and rechecked every fuse. The spots were on the nav when i got it so I'm not sure how they have been wired in but they have decent connections and aren't ghetto taped so I'm guessing it's been done right. The only mod Iv done since getting it was installing a new stereo. Does anyone have any ideas?
Cheers
Jeff.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm going to guess at an earth wire associated with the stereo. It's a common thing when stereo equipment gets added. To test this out, just connect a solid earth line to the body of the stereo (which should be negative, or earth, in a modern device). You might want to test the resistance between the two first - if it's not 0 ohms, there's something wrong.

Failing that, it's probably an earth in the engine bay that the relays depend on. A relay gets a command on a positive wire (voltage is turned on) and this - coupled with a connection to the negative side on the coil of the relay - causes the relay to close and allow high power to flow through the relay's contacts. If the negative is bad on the coil of the relay then the relay won't close.

To find that, I'd look around the relay box, which should have a common earth point somewhere on the bodywork in the engine bay. Directly connect that wire to the negative of the battery and try these things again.

Hopefully someone else will come along with an even easier answer!

Thanks for the replies, yeah I hooked it in to the factory harness, no problems with the stereo working although i do remember a bad earth that I came across when fitting it. I'l put some beers in the fridge then check it out this arvo.

I dont cut harnesses. Get the right plug and less drama's.

Thanks for the replies, yeah I hooked it in to the factory harness, no problems with the stereo working although i do remember a bad earth that I came across when fitting it. I'l put some beers in the fridge then check it out this arvo.

Do your tail lights work ?

The horn is on the same circuit as the stereo.

I am assuming the washer's are to.

There is a full service manual in the D22 section.

Download it.

So after a busy weekend I finally got the five free minutes to pull the stereo and no joy. The earth is fine, Iv used the original plugs so it's not half arsed spliced into the harness. Brake lights & reverse lights work, but I noticed that the park lights don't work either. Finding the manual and working my way through the circuit is my next stop but I do appreciate any ideas thrown my way that could help narrow things down.

Played with any of the earths in the engine bay ?

Had the steering column cover off ?

Had a play today. Cleaned 4 earths in the engine bay and the terminals on the batt. All were filthy. Thought I may be onto something but still had no joy so I pulled the cover of the steering column to have a look. Found were the previous owner must have wired his vhf into the loom. He didn't do that good of a job fixing things after he removed the vhf, found a couple of bare bits of wire, insulated those and got the spotties to work. Still no joy with the horn or washer yet. I can hear the horn relay clicking so that seems ok. Does anyone know if the horn and window washer are on the same circuit?

You said the horn lit up on your "basic tester". Are you using a multimeter or a testlight? A multimeter can't test for voltage drop because it dosent add any load to the circuit you are testing. I'd try it with a testlight so you can rule out a voltage drop.

First try it (testlight) connected to earth (-ve) and test the positive horn wire, if all ok connect the testlight to power (+ve) and probe the earth wire on the horn. If the light is dim for either test you'll know which is the problem.

Hope this gets to the bottom of it for you.

I'm chipping away at these problems seem's that Iv got a heap of small issues. Got the washer sorted today. Pulled it apart and found the pump motor had seized but managed to get it going with a bit of tlc.
I do only have a test light so I'l try your advice in the next few days Will. Just have one question with that, there's only one wire running off the horn, I assume thats + ve and the horn earths through it's mount straight to the body. Does this sound right? I cleaned the mount and the wires connection back when I found these probs so I'm thinking that the horn may just have shat itself.
Cheers for you help guys.

Latest posts

Back