Winding noise in Gearbox

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booof

Reaction score
I have a 04 Nissan Navara d22 4x4 5 speed manual Dual Cab. She's a 3.3l petrol. Anyway, driving on the weekend going around a corner i went from 3rd to 2nd and even though it was easy putting it into 2nd it made like a winding noise. This is starting to happen more regularly now. But as i said before i have no trouble in putting it into gear when either gearing up or gearing down. It just makes a winding noise when gearing down. No crunching noise! Is my worst case scenario a reality? Has my gear box had it?

What are your thoughts on what the problem can be?

If you do think it's the gearbox can you recommend any 4x4 wreckers i can contact in Melbourne, Australia where i may be able to get a Gearbox to suit a 04 Nissan Navara d22 4x4 3.3l petrol. 5 speed manual.

Whats the average price for a second hand gearbox?

How much would i be looking at to get a second hand gearbox fitted?

I dont want to go brand new as i plan on getting rid of the car within 5 years. We all know brand new gearboxes for 4x4 are big bucks!

Scottybobcat has a VG33E and gearbox he is selling.

Have you changed the oil in the gearbox ?

Dave,
I love my fishing and hunting and have no idea about mechanics. So ill ask a couple of questions. I presume when you service the car the mechanic would check the oils in the gearbox. I myself have not done it. How do i check check/change the oils in the gearbox?
This is my first post on this forum, recommended by another Navara owner. I dont know ScottyBobCat. How much is he selling the VG33E gear box for?
And how would i know if the VG33E Gearbox would suit my car?

Regards
Matt

On the side of the gearbox there is a filler plug. Pretty much looks like a hole for a socket.

Undo it and stick your finger and see if you can feel oil.

If it was me, Id drop the oil out of the gearbox or get a mechanic to do it if your unsure.

Scott's a member on here.

He will pop up sooner or later. No idea on price, you will have to ask or he will tell tell you.

Any other question's.

Sing out.

I'm in Melbourne, Sunbury to be exact and am willing to give you a chop out on Sunday in changing the fluid in your box if you require.
Cost about $60 in oil. Your place or mine.....
Without seeing it or experiencing the problem though it is hard to diagnose.
A new box would seem to be the extreme end as you are only experiencing this problem in one gear and unless something extreme has occurred then I would rule it out.
Perhaps uni's or centre bearing on the tailshaft may be the culprit.
Anyway offer is there and I'll have nothing on this Sunday.........

I'm in Melbourne, Sunbury to be exact and am willing to give you a chop out on Sunday in changing the fluid in your box if you require.
Cost about $60 in oil. Your place or mine.....
Without seeing it or experiencing the problem though it is hard to diagnose.
A new box would seem to be the extreme end as you are only experiencing this problem in one gear and unless something extreme has occurred then I would rule it out.
Perhaps uni's or centre bearing on the tailshaft may be the culprit.
Anyway offer is there and I'll have nothing on this Sunday.........

When your finished give me a call and we can go for a spin through Wombat, I have nothing else better to do on Sunday.

Latest posts

Back