Oops - I broke it

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyD40

Reaction score
I went for a day trip up on the east side of Thomsons Dam today with the Wife and Tin Lid - met up with a mate from the 4x4 club that i'm a member of.

Got up there ok and woke them up at 9:00 by starting the CHAIN SAW. Heard many groans from the swags - the groans of not wanting to get up that is.

We finally hit the tracks at 10:30am (note, 2 hours behind schedule) and went up some nice gnarly tracks right upto lunch time. We had lunch about 1pm for about an hour. I was planning to do one last track with my mate prior to heading home earlyish as i have other committments tomorrow.

Half way up this last track was a really nice rocky ledge section, that the 80 series cruiser had 3 goes to get up the 'hardest' line. I knew i didnt have the front and mid height clearance for the hardest line, so i took the 2nd hardest line.

1st gear low range, and I got up in ONE go.

BUT ...

When i stopped the car and got out, there was oil pouring off the front bash plate. It looks like i have busted the front diff. I'll be pulling the bash plate off tomorrow arvo and have a good look at where the oil is coming from.

To play it safe, i just managed to drive the remainder of that track in high range 2wd back out to well graded tracks and finally to the bitumen and directly back to home.

The Nav is booked in for wednesday to have a couple of minor warrantee things looked out and sorted for me (clutch pedal return spring, rear left window goes down, but not up). Looks like i'll be dropping it off earlier than i expected so they can probably do the front diff as well.

Oops - looks like i broke it.

hahahahahahah Bout time you got that post up I've been waiting to laugh at you....now I will read the post

Woody's getting a job in a wreckers where he can't possibly cause as much damage to cars as he does now.

As for mine never being used, it's a D40 so it's always being used, to get me out of driveways and over speed humps.

^ I knew they were low, just not that low.

Woody seem's about 100 times to smart to work in a wreckers.

I'm not getting into a debate about how smart he is because it's his shout next pub visit. What I find funny though is that yesterday he was all concerned (to the point of telling shop keepers but we wont mention which shop keepers) about what he thought was going to happen today, then when those plans get canceled he goes out and does worse. He owes Mrs Woody big time now!!!

Woody seem's about 100 times to smart to work in a wreckers.

Geez ... what a nice thing to say Dave

you've just made a friend for life .... LOL

Dont worry about Krafty, he's just jealous that i'm not worried about getting my D40 down and dirty and that the wife dont mind either. :rock:

but i did do this when i got the nav home this arvo
:wash_truck:

Bad news Woody. What tracks were you on?

Ridgie
I've just looked up the tracks we did yesterday. My friends were staying at O'Tools camping area. So from there we went up FLATS TRACK, then east along Pheasant Spur Road, then down and back up "S" TRACK, further east again until going down ARMY TRACK. We had lunch at the bottom of ARMY, and it was about 1/2 up ARMY when i did the damage/breakage.
:hmmmm:

Dont worry about Krafty, he's just jealous that i'm not worried about getting my D40 down and dirty and that the wife dont mind either. :rock:

Getting dirty isn't the issue, although cow shits sticks to paint work, I'm jealous that everytime I do have my ute in 4wd I don't break something like you do and you've had training to do it. :ha:

Army track !! Didn't think it was that rough - although I guess recent rain could have washed it out a bit and we must remember you managed to break your fan shroud up that way on a trip. Did your bash plate cop a beating? Or has something failed to let the oil out?

Ridgie

I cant answer that until i get the bash plate off - looks like i'll be doing it the dark tonight. So watch this space, i'll post up once i have the plate off and can then see where the oil has come from.

Are you sure its the diff?
Looks like you have blown a seal

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OpuuAa7gdE[/YT]

Back