Perth to Kakadu - essential D22 mods

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essential mods for Perth to Kakadu, dream list, pick your top three choices

• Total voters

sugammadex

Reaction score
Essential D22 mods -Perth to Kakadu

Hi guys :cheers!:
I'm taking three months off later this year which gives me plenty of time to plan for this "off"road trip of a lifetime though the National Parks and best 4wd tracks on the way :devil:

I'm looking for your advice as to the best mods (in addition to those in my signature block) to do to the wagon (2003 D22 ZD30) before we leave, will be towing a 750kg Off road camper trailer with us so we can set camp and do some 4wd tracks unladen. Will consider anything! and will keep you up to date with progress reports. Reasonable budget for the trip but don't forget the simple stuff too.....

Thanks, I'm looking forward to your replies

Will

P.s not interested in brand promotion ( ie taipan vs beau) enough other posts in the forums, just the mod type

P.p.s "Unmissable 4wd tracks en route to Kakadu" poll and "essential kit not attached to nav" polls to follow!!

Last edited:
We found it invaluable and inexpensive to be carrying 4 of those Willow diesel cans like these:

103115.jpg

available from Supercheap and elsewhere. These are great because they have a handle in the side, making it easier to hold while you're filling your tank. 4 of these gave us an extra 80L - even at $33.85 each @ Supercheap (we got ours on special for $29ea) that's $135.40 and sounds a lot better than $1400 for an extended range tank.

Also, very seriously - take LOTS of pictures, even while you're driving (obviously, get a passenger to do it). We did, and I have a desktop wallpaper changer that cycles through all of the pics for me and it is incredible how many good memories come from the pics, even the ones that I don't remember exactly where they were taken from.

I do recommend a tyre repair kit and learning how to use it. If you're off-roading a great distance from civilisation, you should be prepared to get your vehicle going again. Preferably you'll have a companion vehicle in case things really go belly up and if you don't, I cannot recommend strongly enough taking a satellite phone with you.

Also take spare radiator hoses, fan belt, maybe some fuel line too.

Yes to everything on your list especially if your going to attempt the CSR or travel in the wet season..

Also you'll need 2 spare wheels/tyres and a decent amount of water carrying capacity. Get a Satphone or HF over a epirb.

Last edited:
you forgot a Good first aid kit. I'm planning on doing the Canning stock route mid year. Have done or will do many of the mod you have listed. Remember Later in the year up north is the wet season and warmer temps. Decent water storage is a must. If you want contact me and i can show you what I have done, I'm in perth

Chris

Thanks everyone for your comments, thoughts so far:

Dave, what type of in intercooler? are the gains really that impressive To justify the $ ? What type do you have? I was looking at the Denco diesel web site last night any thoughts?

Tony and Bosshog, I was thinking of jerry cans but then people say they are a faff to use, leaky etc etc. I have to say that I am struggling to justify 1400 for an extra 60 litersfuel capacity simply for the convenience of a fitted tank, ie not getting out the back and manually filling up. I was thinking that a Boab poly diesel tank was a good secure compromise 300 bucks for an 80+ litre system up against the back wall of my tub and gravity fed by a switch to the main tank?

Leprechaun and a question to all of you is how do you calculate your water requirements? Is 10 litres per person per day a reasonable start point in the desert? Jerry cans, bladder or tanks?

Lapsed, would love to come over some time and see your rig before you go? I happen to be medical and the first aid kit is bulging at the seams!! Im Happy to advise anyone else on first aid if they need. Chris, any chance I could come over sometime Tuesday or Wednesday to pick up that sports bar?!?

I will start another poll later for "what's in your spare parts box and essential tool kit, second spare tyre and brake pads is a good start. How much are sat phones? Can you hire them for a big trip like this?

Thanks guys, please keep your suggestions coming in
:cheers!:

Will

I am already on the hunt for another Navara rim :) Any one happen to have one lying around with BFG rubber on it? !!!!

Last edited:
I have a ASE intercooler on mine.

You dont lose the power in the heat like you do now.

If the turbo lets go, the intercooler catches the pieces.

Check out crosscountry's top mount aswell.

^ Id possibly have gone for that one if it was out when I got mine or make up your own kit.

Tony and Bosshog, I was thinking of jerry cans but then people say they are a faff to use, leaky etc etc. I have to say that I am struggling to justify 1400 for an extra 60 litersfuel capacity simply for the convenience of a fitted tank, ie not getting out the back and manually filling up. I was thinking that a Boab poly diesel tank was a good secure compromise 300 bucks for an 80+ litre system up against the back wall of my tub and gravity fed by a switch to the main tank?

The jerry cans pictured only leak if you don't do the lids up. Don't worry about them, we carted our 4 up through the centre of Australia at Christmas (read this thread, pics are in there too). We didn't have any problem at all - I made sure that each can got EXACTLY 20 litres (according to the bowser) and not a drop more, helped with fuel economy calcs too.

Leprechaun and a question to all of you is how do you calculate your water requirements? Is 10 litres per person per day a reasonable start point in the desert? Jerry cans, bladder or tanks?

Food grade jerry cans are okay but if they're exposed to sunlight you'll get algae in them. Camper trailers usually have a tank underneath - watch that water, it will get hot! We have 2 tanks, each 59 litres and protected by stone shields under our van. After travelling up the Stuart Highway, the water in the tanks was quite hot.

10 litres per day is a lot if you're sitting inside an airconditioned cabin. You may only need 2L per day while on the move (what is the recommendation, 8 glasses @ 250ml? 2 litres). In the heat, 1 litre per person per hour is recommended, so if you're stopping for the day, you want say 8-10 litres per day per person. Be prepared to boil water if you have to resupply.

Take a bunch of puri tabs or Condi Crystals with you as a back up for purfying water, tastes like s**t but kills the bugs if you run out. From memory its recommended roughly 10 litres per person per day for emergency situations. I second the recommendation for two spare wheels, especially if you travelling on average roads. I travelled on the Roebourne - Wittenoom Road, with work and had to change both rears on a single trip.

I only travel in winter so the amount is reduced substantially, I carry/allow 2.5 litres per day per person for up to 10 days.(55l tank)+ roughly another 10L emergency separate bottled water. Most of the deserts have wells from the oil exploration days, so if you plan accordingly water can be replenished on the way, but it pays to do your research to know what wells are usable. We found that we always ran low on water rather than fuel, requiring a return to civilisation.

For the CSR you should carry 20L per 100k's in fuel. Towing may require another 20% more at a guess, personally I wouldn't attempt to tow anything through the CSR.

Last edited:
I only travel in winter so the amount is reduced substantially, I carry/allow 2.5 litres per day per person for up to 10 days.(55l tank)+ roughly another 10L emergency separate bottled water. Most of the deserts have wells from the oil exploration days, so if you plan accordingly water can be replenished on the way, but it pays to do your research to know what wells are usable. We found that we always ran low on water rather than fuel, requiring a return to civilisation.

For the CSR you should carry 20L per 100k's in fuel. Towing may require another 20% more at a guess, personally I wouldn't attempt to tow anything through the CSR.

I think the fuel rates greatly depend on load and the conditions. If you're wallowing in mud or loose sand, that 20% quickly rises up to stupid levels.

As for the CSR, here's one of the reasons why we want a Kedron caravan. Shame you have to wait until 2/3rd the way through to see anything and they don't show much - and also a shame that these guys are crazy, but they do the sort of stuff that makes you believe in the product they're hauling.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXxIZSUpslU[/YT]

Latest posts

Back