please help cv troubles

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbos40

Reaction score
Hi, guys this is my first post on this awesome navara site i have been using the search and doing a lot of research on my d40 build for a Cape York trip in June this year, so far it’s an 2010 st auto dual cab 265/75 mtz’s 2”old man emu lift, tjm t15 front bar with ironman 1200lbp winch tjm scrub bars and side steps, brown Davies bash plates and long range tank, arb cab rack and awning and heaps of other mods . Any way the reason i call on your help is that on the weekend i was out on the tracks and selected low 4 to go down a hill into a creek and drive out the other side not a hard crossing or exit, but i got stuck because there was no drive to the front wheels ended up changing lines and driving out. There is no noises or clunks from the front end so when i got home i put the rear wheels up on jack stands with the front on the ground put her in 4low and the back wheals spun while the front did nothing , checked cvs and the front right is sticking out 15mm from the front of the diff housing i can pull it out from the diff about 50mm but i can’t seem to slide it all the way back to the diff it keeps stopping at the same spot about 15mm from the housing . just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them. Thanks in advance chris

Welcome to the forum!

I'll be honest that I haven't dived under mine and looked at the CVs yet, but there may be another answer to the question.

On the CVs - I'd be taking it back to Nissan and getting them to poke at it.

As for engaging 4WD - it's not dependent on the CVs being intact anyway. There are specific steps that you need to follow to get 4LO engaged and they're different for manuals and autos.

With your auto, you need to stop the vehicle (I think the handbrake needs to come on), put it in Neutral, press your foot on the brake and turn the knob to 4LO. The dash will start flashing and it will engage in a few seconds.

There is a Chinglish instruction for this on your sun visor. Sadly it's not written in English.

Chris

Take the Navara directly to your local Nissan Dealer - and put in a claim for repair under warrantee.

If you tried to select 4wd and it did not engage, then it MUST be a warrantee legit claim.

Unlike my bad luck on the weekend where i blew the front diff up, which nissan wont honour as a claim.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Also, let us know where your from (update details in your profile)

Cheers, David.

Tony,
i understand what you were getting at with your post - but it sounds like the transfer case is not even going into 4wd, let alone low range. If Chris has put the car up on stands and cant get the car to drive off the stands, i would think that its a 4wd issue, not a low range issue ?

I should clarify ...

i'm thinking it might be an electrical problem with the switch, not actuating the 4wd selection in the transfer case?

its just my thoughts.

That's also possible, but the ECU won't send the signal for the transfer case to make the change unless you get the sequence right, so I thought I'd start with getting the easy stuff out of the way.

We should be able to drop it into 4LO at freeway speeds just by flicking the handbrake, turning the steering wheel a half-turn to the left and popping the switch over, but NOOOOOOooooo, not Nissan, they have to make it bloody hard for us!

If the sequence was right, then it could be a plug on the side of the transfer case, or a failed servo inside (none of it's mechanical any more). Start with the cheap and easy fixes and move on from there, I think.

checked cvs and the front right is sticking out 15mm from the front of the diff housing i can pull it out from the diff about 50mm but i can’t seem to slide it all the way back to the diff it keeps stopping at the same spot about 15mm from the housing.

If your front diff is an open diff, it will be transfering all the power to the wheel with the least load.
If your right CV is not all the way in the diff, you may find the diff is spinning on the right side. Obviously if your cv is not connected you wont be getting power to the wheel.

Tony,
i understand what you were getting at with your post - but it sounds like the transfer case is not even going into 4wd, let alone low range. If Chris has put the car up on stands and cant get the car to drive off the stands, i would think that its a 4wd issue, not a low range issue ?

He can check the drive is going into his front diff just by watching the front diff/gearbox drive shaft.

Chris
Take the Navara directly to your local Nissan Dealer - and put in a claim for repair under warrantee.

If you tried to select 4wd and it did not engage, then it MUST be a warrantee legit claim.
Cheers, David.

if he broke a CV while offroad im sure Nissan wont replace it. If he busted the gearbox they might help out.

Just my thoughts anyway
Christian

So to summarise you two, assuming 4lo was selected correctly it must be a warranty claim. LOL :big_smile:

Hey guys thanks for all of your responses, 4 low had been selected lights on the dash were on and i was using 4low as an engine brake to go down the hill and it was working fine
Just dropped it off to Nissan and they are going to look at it tomorrow fingers crossed its nothing to major

If your front diff is an open diff, it will be transfering all the power to the wheel with the least load.
If your right CV is not all the way in the diff, you may find the diff is spinning on the right side. Obviously if your cv is not connected you wont be getting power to the wheel.

i think that you might be on to something here but i couldn’t for the life of me slip the cv all the way back against the housing is there any c clips to hold the cv's in place or do they just sit there
thanks chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to keep you updated, spoke to Nissan today and they have finally found the problem
One snapped rhs drive shaft so the diff could not turn the other wheal as there was no load on the other shaft, and the best part is that Nissan don’t cover drive shafts under warranty
It doesn’t give me much confidence in the cars ability i have a 6 week trip to Cape York towing my camper looks like i will have to add a few more spares to the list

Niss 4x4 in Williamstown mate.Ring Adam and tell him your from the forum and scotty with the v8 Nav told you to ring him.He has shit loads of them.You should be able to pick 1 up for about 50 to 70 bucks.CBC bearings sell d22 ones for $125 each the whole shaft so I reckin about 50 to 70 for 2nd hand genuine with very little KMS

I don't understand why they don't cover the drive shaft. I've not heard of one breaking - I can only think the one you had was faulty. I'd push them again on that issue.

Yep. Follow Aussie Frontier's example and make sure your rights are respected.

While I'm thinking about that, it might be worth getting a third party mechanic to take a look at it, before they fix it and remove the evidence. Don't forget photos. Tell Nissan you're going to do it, too. Tell them why. You believe it should be covered by warranty because these things normally don't break.

Nissan said they have had a few brake before but not on the d40
Brakeage is due to
Driving on black top in 4 x 4 – what a load of crap
Getting one wheel of the ground and coming back down under load – this might have happened but the last time something like that could of happened was a few weeks back in the wombat forest but there was no crunches bangs or any other noises
Was going to do it myself at a mates shop but had second thoughts as they have quoted $300 if the broken piece in the diff comes out ok or up to $700 if the diff has to come out
When i get it back ill try and get some pics up for you

Latest posts

Back