Post Easter Camping Trip Murray? SA? NSW?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digbyj

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Just after some ideas for a camping trip around Easter, well the week after to be exact.
Was thinkin might try and head a bit north so can get a bit more warmth as will be rough camping for up to a week.
Was thinkin around Mildura or to be honest just about anywhere we can chill out, fish and take the dogs. South coast NSW? Anywhere that could possibly be warmer!!!!
A bit of 4b-ing would be a bonus too!
Still getting to know this country and the last advice you guys gave me was top dollar!
Cheers nav dudes.

Yeah good point terry, I'll ask around, someones gotta have an idea...
Am thinkin maybe go Robe direction? Open to suggestions, but unknown Robes got plenty of areas to camp..

Yeah, it's part of my patch. I get up there for a day usually once every six weeks or so. Usually stay overnight, sometimes two nights, depends on what's on.

Port Macdonnell, Robe, Kingston SE. Great places not too far from civilisation but you will need to speak slowly to the locals. Like crayfish?

Other direction. Marlo, Bemm River, Malacoota, Eden,

Mildura is a hole and I'd rather spend a week in Wycheproof than Mildura again.

Well I'm up here in Mildura tonight, after getting a frigging speeding fine on the way up (118kmh detected, 116 alleged, $239, in the work car, feck it all). Not much evidence of water around, nothing like last time I was here on Feb 11th. Only saw one patch of water on the side of the road, whereas there were houses under water in Feb. They had 80 mm of rain last Sunday (nearly 2 weeks ago) and there is no evidence of that, so I reckon you'll be right if they don't get any more rain. Be careful of the Sunraysia Highway on the way into town. Water laying on the road in a few spots has absolutely rooted the road. These spots are marked by reduced limits (down to 40) and you need to slow down to the indicated limit coz it's a rough as guts.

Enjoy your holiday, wherever you go.

These spots are marked by reduced limits (down to 40) and you need to slow down to the indicated limit coz it's a rough as guts.

Seriously how much rougher can it get, I travelled up there 12 months before the floods and the roads were some of the worst I'd travelled in 3 states east to west. Back then the highway from Mildura south to St Arnaud was barely fit for 60kph in some parts. Hopefully they have fixed it by September when I head back that way to Perth again.

I've just driven back from Mildura to Ballarat, sat on 120 all the way. My work car is a Toyota Aurion, so driving at that speed is fine. The road is bloody terrible around Donald and has been this bumpy for years. Don't hold your breath on it getting evened out - the councils will be flat out repairing the water damage, which they have started.

Thanks for all the info bullwinkle.
Still 50/50 whether to go that way or NSW way, looks to be harder tontakr dogs NSW way lots of national parks, we'll see...

Yeah, problem was I got the ticket just 30 kms out of Balllarat, between Learmonth and Waubra. Once you get past Avoca, you are lucky to see any cars at all, let alone a copper. Seriously, on this road, you can easily drive 50 kms without seeing anyone. I drove back from Mildura on the day of the state election in November last year and I reckon we didn't see a car for nearly 2 hours.

Am thinking Nyah-Vinifera state forest near swan hill could be a goer, or somewhere around there, heaps of bush camping and the river heads north a bit so might make it .1 degree warmer!
Anyone know this area or anywhere SA side of Echuca Moama?
Just wondering if there's any Fourby tracks around any of the state forests.. Canpbells Usland/Perricoota etc.
Either way, lookin forward to some time off! Work sucks... and blows.

Got back yesterday, parts of Murray still in pretty bad shape, couldn't find much in guttrum state forest,campbells island closed, ended up camping on Gunbower Island, was there for no more than 4 seconds when a Fourby pulls up and yells out "Marcus!"... d22 Dave from vnog was there too, pissa!
Anyway next day saw 2 snakes in an hour so the missus said she was off... ended up near Echuca, great spot. Pulled a D40 and a poptop outta the mud too, good fun!
Cheers

Here i was happily cruising around gunbower snatching the patrol out of every little puddle the owner put it in. When i come around a corner and spotted a nav with a vnog sticker and a high roof canopy first thought was Marcus then i saw the ridgeback and it was a certainty stopped for a flying chat then off again, cause up further a clever fellow had bogged his 4wd vw workvan with wife and kids on board in a 80 meter stretch of pure bog another nav had gone in from other direction and snatched him out. The people you bump into in the bush, Marcus the weather couldnt ask for better

Haha yeah I saw that van the next day, they were havin a good play around! Man, those snakes, one was sat on our picnic rug next to our little dog, couldn't faaarkin believe it! Weather was great for us all week Dave, fishing not so good, I need a boat...

and a 12 gauge for the snakes. I am going to get a tinnie one of these days for up the river, but for the moment i bought a canoe

Back