carputer in double din slot....depth in d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camo.b

Reaction score
had my kingcab for bit over a month now...have a eeepc 701 gathering dust a touchscreen overlay and wifi/bluetooth/3g combinations galore...ordered a obd2 kit and usb gps.....stripped the eeepc fitted the touch and removed the antiglare layer from the eeepc original lcd....installed centrafuze tested and combo working nicely....getting concerned about the amount or space behind the dash and the chatter about the bar at the back of the radio....
does any one know the depth i have to work with t might need 220mm....
can the d40 afford that much space when i see most double din units are around 170mm.
cant trim the eeepc mainboard anywhere that matters but it is only 15-20mm thick....i cannot remove the factory radio untill the weekend(too much to do) so my question is does anyone know how much depth have i got to play with and how big is the bar behind the dash?

Never measured it myself but given how easy it is to remove the panel it wouldn't take you much to measure your own to be 100% sure. From what I remember reading there isn't a lot of spare space behind a standard double din unit so 50mm might be a bit much to ask, however it might still fit given that an eee pc is not the same width and height but your best bet is to just try it yourself, the panel and unit should come out in about 2 mins flat.

Thanks guys for the info.didnt realize how easy it was. . . Managed to shit the bed this morning and went outside and measured it.krafty it took me 10mins but was very cautious. . . So factory radio is 170 deep 100 high and 180mm wide.there is almost 190mm depth in the double din space before you hit the crossbrace. But there is a good inch of room under the crossbrace and its almost 250mm deep so i can just step the back down and in. Excellent will start fabricating this weekend.

its been a few weeks now but parts collection is going well and fabrication of my new carputer case is almost finnished.....mountains of work completed today and last night....alloy extended double din case is all tig welded up screen is mounted,motherboard is mounted the power supply board and touch screen controller is almost in place...cooling fan mounted just need to fire up the soldering iron and wire in some relocated ports (usb+audio out +mic+gps+3g +remote sleep/shutdown switches and...christ the list is huge.) gunna be a long night....
if anyone is interested i can post some pics and a writeup some time soon.

I'm as interested in this as I am any computer stuff but someone out there will probably be interested in trying it one day so pics and stuff would be good.

blew the motherboard...not sure what happened im usually very careful.....very sad now.....setback now a week or two..

anyone got a spare eeepc 701 or 701sd laying around with a busted screen/dud battery....quick cash sale !!! would even try a 900/901 if the price is right.

o.k so i do have progress....this keeps anyone watching up to date....
dovado umr 3g router with exetel static ip sim, huawei e1762 modem and usb gps fitted,wired and running from within center console.remote tracking and internet now online.
aux battery fitted in tray and redarc switch fitted and wired for all aux electronics.
$35 sony explode amp from cash converters fitted under passanger seat and wired.
carputer case finnished and screen fitted as said before.
new eeepc 701SD purchased.found the 8 gb ssd way too slow so soldered sata hdd plug direct to mobo for larger faster hdd...after many late nights trying to figure out the correct pinnout on the propiertery mini pcie connector on the eeepc it will not work.sata lines may not be active as my wirering is correct...ordered a pata to sata converter to wire in from the mini pcie connector (which i can confirm the pata lines are active) to sata hdd i have.(ssd will be ordered if it all works well.)
remote power on switch wired in...power supply for the eeepc sorted.(thanks jaycar)
RC joycon usb hid board to steering wheel controls arrived...all programmed now.(just need the steering wheel controls...cash supply currently low)....many many more things tested and completed just cant remember them all.....
carputers are fun..have learnt alot building it but my god it takes some time and i bet im only half way there..
have some pics just need to figure out how to upload them....

some pics so far.
CamsCustomCreations
CamsCustomCreations
CamsCustomCreations
CamsCustomCreations

updates

o.k so i finally gave up on the ---t box eepc....pata hard drive just too slow and i couldnt confidently find a faster replacement.tried wireing and sata hd to the mini pcie slot but ended up finding no actual live sata data pins on a eeepc 701 sd..i beleive they are not there..dissapointing as i really wanted to recycle the old netbook into somthing i could use
new setup now......mini itx asrock motherboard with dual core 1.8 atom...fingers crossed its got enough juice.working well on test bench so far
same but modded in dash case and a new 7" lcd and controller board coming.
using the old touch screen. audio out plumbed to amp...sterio noise cancelling mic/usb fm tuner and 12v smart psu on its way..currant setup test fitted well in the dash did have to trim some plastic from botton of dash internals (like 5mm)
had to lower the mounting of the carputer case to clear the inputs on the bar located at the rear of the radio hole.now all audio/usb and ethernet cables sqeeze in just underneath that bar.made the mistake of mounting the harddrive right over a large secondary case fan....i wondered why windows stalled as i started the fan.......mistake now noted...all things going well should have some more parts by next week and final testing will commence.then i can finally fit it.have some pics will see if i can work out how to show/upload them.

I remember getting to a similar stage with my car computer build but it was about then I seeked alternative arrangements and having used that alternative (a tablet with Garmin on it) for a while now I've given up on the idea entirely.

For less than $100 I can buy a GPS with lifetime updates and I have 4 Ipods here which between them have more than enough music on them to go East coast to West coast and back again without repeating. The car pc just got out priced considering the functionality I really need as far as I am concerned, but I hope you get your money's worth and the effort is worth it.

Latest posts

Back