Anyone DIY Handbrake Cable maintenance/replacement?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKT

Reaction score
Heya all....

My handbrake is feeling pretty sloppy. Nothin at all in the first half of the pull then I have to pull hard in the last half and it only just grabs.
There also the issue of the handle lifting a little bit activating the handbrake light.

I've gotten underneather and found there is a heap of slack bunching up when the handbrake is released.

So I was hoping someone else has had the same spongy crapped handbrake situ and either fixed it or could give a few tips on replacing the cable, because I'm guessing thats the issue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Have you been in mud lately/at all?

Take the drums apart and clean/check. Happened to mine.

Have you been in mud lately/at all?

Take the drums apart and clean/check. Happened to mine.

Not a lot of mud.. a few shallow water crossings. A bit of sand.

The sloppiness and handle popping up occured after a good yank in the driveway one time. Since then its just got worse.

Have you tried to re-adjust the handbrake? Download the manual on here. It explains how to adjust it. Also check your drum brake pads to see how worn they are.

Last edited:
Hey,

You will need Adobe Reader installed on your computer. Use the Start adobe file in the folder you downloaded to open the manual start page

Use the "First Edition 1st Revision" manual right down the bottom after the start page. This one has pretty much all the info. After the first edition are all the Revised versions and additions as things changed on the Nav through out the years. The handbrake wouldnt have changed much over all the years so start with the First Edition.

So use that Link that says "Click" then on the left hand side go to the "BR - brake system" section. Then you can just scroll through it all until you come to the hand brake adjusment.

I only had a quick read but it does tell you how to do it from memory.

All else fails, take it to a brake shop/mechanics and get them to do it, dont want poor brakes. Might take abit of playing around to get them adjusted right as well.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Go to the back of the car and get under neath it.On your backing plate you will have an inspection hole which is long and thin and should have a rubber grommet in it.Remove the grommit and with a brake adjuster or flat blade screw driver adjust your brakes.There will be a little wheel in there with teeth on it.Do this while the wheel is off the ground and you can spin the wheel with your hand.Stop adjusting it when you feel the brake starting to grab.Do this to both sides and check your pedal which should be harder and check your hand brake adjustment then.It should be 8 clicks max,if it is not ,under the car on the drivers side there is a joiner for both the hand brake cables with nuts on them.Loosen the nuts and adjust the slack in the cable and tighten the lock nuts up again.
I hope this helps Scotty

Yep..... I was getting confused with the Supplements etc. Sorted it now.

Thx Scotty.

Thats exactly what I'll do.

Thx all.

Sorted it out.

Adjustments made.

Only about 3-4 clicks to fully engage but disengaging correctly.

I'd say a new cable and/or rear pads will be due soon.

Thx for the help guys.

Latest posts

Back