What spares? D40 Cape York trip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbos40

Reaction score
Hi guys, we are doing a run to the cape in june for a 6 week trip up and back. So for the vehicle is a pretty well set up 2010 st d40 auto and will be towing a jayco outback
Just wanted people’s opinions on what spares to take up and If there is anything specific for the d40 that is prone to brakeage or falling off on these big trips
Thanks chris

I think you'll find there was a generic Cape York spares list thread a few months back which will probably give you a rough idea of what to take.

You could take a hundred spares and not need any of them but you could also need the one you don't have so any lists is not really definitive anyway but when you consider things like a spare fuel filter will cost you $180ish retail, the top radiator hose will cost you about $160 retail you really have to decide just what you think you can't afford to do with out rather than what someone else thinks they need.

The secret with hoses and belts is to fit the new ones just before you go and keep the old ones, that way you know the spare fits.

A mate did the run in a Pajero last year .. Enough said !! :sarcastic:

He recNons if you wanted to you could do it in a 180B
There is an easy way around almost every thing !!

Chris (robbos40),

When in Jun are you heading up? I'm also going up, leaving Cairns about 23 Jun and taking a couple of weeks to go up and back to Cairns, then 2 weeks taking my time back to Vic with the family.

As for spares, I'm looking at a spare belt and fuel filter, like Kraftypg said, you could take hundreds and not use any, that's Murphy's law.

Cheers

Chris (robbos40),

When in Jun are you heading up? I'm also going up, leaving Cairns about 23 Jun and taking a couple of weeks to go up and back to Cairns, then 2 weeks taking my time back to Vic with the family.

As for spares, I'm looking at a spare belt and fuel filter, like Kraftypg said, you could take hundreds and not use any, that's Murphy's law.

Cheers

Hey goldyz looks like we will up there about the same time.
Me and my son are leaving Melbourne on the 10th June and my miss and 2 little kids(3 and 18months) are flying up to cairns on the 15th, meet up with my parents and stay at Mareeba for a few days and then head up
We have no real plans or time limits there is a few thing we want to see and do but depending on the conditions as we will be towing. We are thinking about setting up camp at fruit bat falls for a few days and leaving the kids and van with the oldies while me and the miss go play on the olt

The spares i was thinking of taking
-fuel filter, 2x air filters, engine oil and filter, diff oil and a fan belt kit

chris

Last edited:
Being a D40, take some front brake rotors and pads with you.

The current ones will be warn out when you get there.

Hey goldyz looks like we will up there about the same time.
Me and my son are leaving Melbourne on the 10th June and my miss and 2 little kids(3 and 18months) are flying up to cairns on the 15th, meet up with my parents and stay at Mareeba for a few days and then head up
We have no real plans or time limits there is a few thing we want to see and do but depending on the conditions as we will be towing. We are thinking about setting up camp at fruit bat falls for a few days and leaving the kids and van with the oldies while me and the miss go play on the olt

The spares i was thinking of taking
-fuel filter, 2x air filters, engine oil and filter, diff oil and a fan belt kit

chris

You're doing a very similar thing to us, I'm driving up on the 13 or 14th, wife and 2 kids (13 & 10) flying up on 18th. We're staying in Palm Cove for four days then driving up from there.

I'm also towing the Jayco Outback up with me but looking at leaving it in Cairns and using swags between Cairns and the Tip (rtn) and then using the camper on the way home.

All up I have about 6 and wife has about 5 weeks off to enjoy being back in gods country and away from the Vic winter.:cheers!:

Latest posts

Back