Bike Rack

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavaraD22

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a bike rack (not roof mounted) for the D22 STR?

I've been looking at the towbar-mounted Mac Rac but was wondering if anyone has other types that are good.

Mac Rac?
Is that the style where you have to lift a clip underneath and then lift the whole collection of bikes to lower it down if you want access to back door?

We have actually destroyed one of those (broke at the bottom), but we definitely got our moneys worth, not to mention the occassional 4+ adult bicycles onto a three bike rack. If you can strap the top back to a roof bar, then they will last a far longer time.

I chose one because it was(is?) the strongest one out here at the time.

Yup ... like what Terry said.

I dont know what the brand name is of the bike rack that i have but it does have the hinge thing at the bottom, and if/when possible i put a rope from the top of the rack back up in a 'V' fasion to the roof rack to reduce the amount of 'wobbling' that the weight of the bikes can cause to the rack.

The ones I've had/have was in the top left picture. Has the bar so you can still hitch up the trailer.
I also do as woody-d40 does and run support ropes back to the roof bars.

Umm, actually I don't on the D22 as we haven't had the bicycle rack on it yet, but it was what I did for most of the 28 years we had them on the Mazda vans.

My 2c is they are the best bicycle rack around. The only real problem is that after you somehow use one toe to lift the safety latch, then you have to physically lift all the bikes and the rack to be able to lay them down to get access to tail gate, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_4627_1.JPG
    IMG_4627_1.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 209
Evening People,
This is the way I transport my bike or bikes.
I have include a link to a web site to show you a close up of the mount I run.
I have 2 mounts fitted to my D22 dual cab ute, note you can carry on top of the tarp or by placing the back wheel on the tray.

Saris Track Trap Bicycle Fork Mount (TR1BLK) | Car Racks - Compare Prices and Deals, Shop & Buy Online in Australia at MyShopping.com.au

Hey mate.

Just bought myself a bike, a Giant XTC. Was looking to do something similar to your set up on the Nav. Could you take some closer shots of the mount installed? That would be great.

I like how you can leave the cover on.

Pete

Hey mate. I went with the 26". link below.

XTC 1 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia

I dont know a lot about bikes. Just starting to get into it for a bit of fitness/something else to do with mates on the weekend.

From what i have read/told about 29's is you loose some agility, harder to get going, harder to pull the front up in a hurry. Positives is you roll over obstacles easier etc. Although from reading a little, the new carbon fibre framed 29's are meant to be really good, and new frame design has overcome these downfalls.

Like i said though, i dont know much about them yet, only starting. 29" seem to be becoming more popular though, most brands make them now.

Im happy with the 26" for what i want. Im not a big bloke either so wasnt keen on making it harder for myself pulling up the front or adding more weight. $1500 was my budget, got mine for $1300 with about 100 bucks of free stuff as well.

Hope this helps a little. Maybe some guys with more knowledge will jump in. I'd like to learn more aswell.

Pete

Hey mate.

Just bought myself a bike, a Giant XTC. Was looking to do something similar to your set up on the Nav. Could you take some closer shots of the mount installed? That would be great.

I like how you can leave the cover on.

Pete

Sorry Pete,

Just checked this thread and saw your question.

my mount as below is mounted flat on the small strip of metal behind the cab .

If you want more info P m me and I will take a close up for you.

Ps If you have 15mm through axel you will need an adapter.
http://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/...ge=flypage_images_norating.tpl&product_id=114

Evening folks,
I run a canopy, anyone see a problem with using a roof rack bike carrier? Was thinking maybe even a couple of tie down straps for extra stability.
If not thinking hitch receiver flip down styles.
Cheers

Sorry Pete,

Just checked this thread and saw your question.

my mount as below is mounted flat on the small strip of metal behind the cab .

If you want more info P m me and I will take a close up for you.

Ps If you have 15mm through axel you will need an adapter.
http://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/...ge=flypage_images_norating.tpl&product_id=114

No dramas mate,

Ended up buying 2 of those hitches similar to yours. I made a basic RHS frame for them. Fits in the tray so i didnt have to screw into the tub. Have to use tie downs aswell though.

Cheers

Pete

Evening folks,
I run a canopy, anyone see a problem with using a roof rack bike carrier? Was thinking maybe even a couple of tie down straps for extra stability.
If not thinking hitch receiver flip down styles.
Cheers

I seen a good roof hitch the other day on an Astra. They work without having to use tiedowns. Only problem is the height i can see. And i didnt look, but im guessing good ones are not cheap.

Pete

The biggest problem I've heard of with the roof mount bike racks is how many times people forget their bikes are up there!

Cheers Brad

Sent from Brad's padded cell using Forum Runner

Latest posts

Back