Interior fan noise - D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm1

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

2008 D40 dual cab ST-X has an annoying interior fan noise. It's not that load just sounds like the fan is flicking a bit of paper or something...

Does stuff move around in there ? Is it easy to get to the fan in the dash to check it out?

Any advise welcome - cheers

Try searching the D40 section for the manual it will show you how to remove the fan and all the bits that go with it.

I have the same problem Just had my 40k service and apparantly they installed a filter (can only assume they would clean any debrie (spelling?) caught in the fan, but my fan resistor has blown too and only works on 4th speed both of which appeared at the same time as each other.
So if there is nothing in the fan keep an eye on the switch hopefully its under warranty still.

Others have had the fan resistor replaced under warranty so you should get it done, and they will probably tell you it's $145 (or thereabouts) worth of resistor.

just like it was $250 on top of an $800 service to get 2 fan belts replaced.
And yeah they were serious.

Careful with the pollen filters
Nissan tried charging on 2 different occasions for changing them and I knew for a fact they werent changed at all

I asked to see where the old filters were and where did they fit for future reference. When they couldnt find the old filters and then opened the bonnet to show me the filter housing I called foul.
It seems very common for them to charge for the filters and not even know where they are let alone what to change

I'd really like to see just how many of these utes actually have the Pollen Filters installed. Firstly Nissan don't see any need to install them until the 20K service then as Aussie points out they actually have to know what they are to change them. Most people on here know about the damn things and know that Nissan's price for them is an absolute joke ($20 on ebay anyone) however we are but a very very small selection of D40 drivers Australia wide so it does make me wonder how many people actually get these installed and or changed regularly if they don't know about them or just trust their dealer to do the service. Nissan must be making a fortune on the damn things and very few people would be checking too see if they were there.

Thanks for the replies guy's - in answering your question, I dont know whether it has pollen filters (I only just bought it second hand) and I dont know how to check either - I have downloaded the manual though so will have a look in there how to get to fan housing etc - cheers

I noticed that when my R51 was under lease they were charging in the service for changing the pollen filters, but when I decided after 70,000km of servicing it myself that I should probably change them they had never fitted them.

You can get them from any auto parts place as a Ryco replacement. Just beware that they say you need two in the book and unless they have changed the packaging, only buy one as there are two in the box!

As to the OP, I reckon unless you are lucky you would have to pull the fan motor out of the heater assembly, you would need slimmer hands than mine to get in there through the pollen filter area unless what is in there is within finger reach.

Thanks for the replies guy's - in answering your question, I dont know whether it has pollen filters (I only just bought it second hand) and I dont know how to check either - I have downloaded the manual though so will have a look in there how to get to fan housing etc - cheers

Search for pollen filters there is a thread which explains how to check them and from memory it's fairly easy to check, gotta take the glove box out but it's only a few screws.

Solved the fan noise problem !

Found fan - really easy under glove box on left hand side - easy access and just undo three screws and fan drops down.

I let the fan sit in the footwell and turned it on and went through the fan speeds - a naturally noisy fan but not the 'flicking' noise I was hearing.

I then checked out the fan housing that the fan inserts into and couldn't find any foreign object or anything near where the blades spin so just vacuumed in and around and screwed fan back in and presto noise is gone - so dont reall know what I did but it worked.

Best bit was how easy it was to remove and inspec - bad bit is it's just a noisy fan - need to get in another ST-X and listen - if mine is louder I'll just get a replacement .

Cheers for the help and suggestions

Glad you found the issue. Can't say my fan is overly noisy on any speed but I do live in Victoria and we don't require fans and blowers down here too often so who knows what might happen on the day I need it.

Nissan tried telling me my fan noise was from a leaf and they fixed it. Guess what when I picked it up it still made the same noise !!!

6 months left on warranty and they are getting one decent defects list from me !!

Back