Re: Alternator D+ Wire (For Fridge installation)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks1071

Reaction score
Re: Alternator D+ Wire (For Fridge installation)

Hello,

I have a 2007 Model 2.5L Diesel Nissan Navara.

I'm trying to connect an auto energy sensing fridge to a 12 pin trailer plug.

I need to know how to find what the fridge people call the D+ wire. Its the wire from the alternator that that has power when the engine is ON, and has NO power when the engine is off.

Can someone help with this as no-one seems to understand the terminology D+ wire that the fridge people are using.

Thanks,

Jacks.

Welcome to the forums.

D+ as far as I am aware is a wire coming off the alternator which auto sensing fridges and the like use to determine when the alternator is running and therefore when the auxillary appliance can have power. Try downloading the manual and seeing what you can trace back from the alternator.

The standard 7-pin car trailer plug doesn't carry that. The standards for various plugs are shown on this web page by Narva.

We had to add an output and to achieve that I had a 12-pin connector installed (second from the top, left column in the page referred to).

This ran from the battery through a 30A thermal-reset fuse to a relay that was activated when the ignition came on.

The standard 7-pin car trailer plug doesn't carry that. The standards for various plugs are shown on this web page by Narva.

We had to add an output and to achieve that I had a 12-pin connector installed (second from the top, left column in the page referred to).

This ran from the battery through a 30A thermal-reset fuse to a relay that was activated when the ignition came on.

As mentioned we already have the 12-pin connector.

KraftyPg is correct - that is exactly the wire we are looking for. Has anyone done this before?

We could use the relay as mentioned however we wouldn't need any of that if the D+ wire we are looking for is available.

KraftyPg - you are correct, that is exactly what I am looking for. Has anyone done this that can give us the specifics?

Old.Tony - this maybe a solution however if we can locate the D+ it will save the requirement of the relay you mention and would be a more simple solution. Also as per the origional post we already have the 12-Pin trailer plug so pleanty of wires there, just need to find the one we seek :)

Can't you use the manual to trace it? I'd look myself but I'm busy doing other jobs at the moment however I assume the manual would give ideas as to where it's routed.

Why cant you splice into the voltage sense wire at the alternator? From memory there should only be 3 or 4 wires, so it shouldn't be too hard to work out which one it is with a test light.

Found a toyota wiring diagram, may help
toyota_wiring.jpg

Last edited:
Can't you use the manual to trace it? I'd look myself but I'm busy doing other jobs at the moment however I assume the manual would give ideas as to where it's routed.

Do you have a link to the wiring diagram?

Not on this computer. Check the D40 section (search for manual) I'm sure there is a full pdf download of the manual there somewhere. If by chance the link there doesn't work you can download the Frontier manual (Google search) and that will get you going until someone can repost a working link for the manual.

I found a charging system wiring diagragm for a 2007 Pathfinder, it should be the same alternator as the Navara. The pink wire, which is also the charge light for the alternator is the only wire that has no voltage when the motor is off. The alternator charging is controlled by the yellow wire from the CPU and i was a little worried about affecting this signal. Before connecting it up i spoke to a auto electricitian and while he couls see no immediate problems connecting directly to the alternator he advised against it as it was better not to mess with the alternator wires. He recommended using a Redarc AS10-VS12 Redarc adjustable low voltage VSR cutout relay. They had done a few Navaras using this method. At $140 they are not cheep but for peace of mind i went this way. The relay is quite small and was fitted inside the fuse box in the engine bay on the battery side which keeps it out of the weather and the wiring runs are small.

Back