Rattle behind dash

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldyz

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just clicked over 40,000k's and developed a rattle in the dash. It sounds like it's coming from the centre or LHS behind the stereo or glovebox.

At the 40,000k service Nissan apparently lubed the linkages for the demister but they still rattle as well (that's a different rattle though).

Has anyone else had any annoying rattle in the dash and if so what is it and the fix for it? It's still under warranty but I'd like to know what I'm talking about before I see the dealer again.

Cheers in advance.

Yeah mate mines done around 80k now have always had seems to be there all the time when i'm towing my trailler, or when my canopy has a lot of weight in it. Haven't hear at this stage what it is, please let me know if you find out what it is.

Yeah no worries, I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer this week to get it checked out.

I think there is quite a few of us who've had annoying rattles, some have found them some haven't, most I remember reading about though have been on the right hand side. However you might be able to check this for yourself with a few screws removed.

The glove box doesn't take much to get out and if (and it may be a big if) Nissan put the pollen filters in they may have not done screws up properly or something. Otherwise removing the center part of the dash is a quick and easy job and once you have the paneling out of the way the head unit comes out with 4 screws and you can see everything down behind the heater panel.

Thanks Krafty, I'll leave it to Nissan at the moment to pull the dash apart (only cause it's still under warranty) and I must admit the local Nissan boys aren't too bad.

I'll keep you updated with what they find, and yes I have the RHS rattle as well but they can't pinpoint that one (at least they have identified it during the warranty period)

Cheers

Fair enough each to their own but both jobs are really only 5 minute jobs (niether effecting your warranty) and you'll kick yourself if it was something simple and Nissan has your car all day and still doesn't find anything.

The RHS rattle could be the accelerator pedal, a number of people have discovered the bolt needs tightening under there. There is a thread about it somewhere and it might even tell you what size spanner you need to tighten it. There has also been a number of other suggestions from people in these forums as to where they found the right hand rattle but I don't remember them all.

Which Nissan boys have you found in Gippsland that aren't too bad, surely you're not talking about Wights?

Fair enough, it's a crap day today so I might go and have a play and remove the dash etc.

I take mine to Sale City Nissan, so far, so good. I've heard bad things about Wrights.

Yeah I've got to go out and cut a palm tree down this arvo in the crappy weather, oh well I suppose someone will say we need the rain.

I've never had dealings with Sale City service department (in fact after 7 years delivering to Sale I try and avoid the place), I did have an argument with the sales droid back in 2002 over a car back when they were in their old location but that's all. Wights are pretty bad, I only use them for parts (because that's where the trade discount is) and for the few problems I knew they couldn't screw up. Each time it's been there I have made the suit and tie dude walk around the car with me after the job was done and check for scratches or dents because they have damaged or dented more of my mates cars than I can remember. Their dealer principle is also an arsehole and he and I just don't see eye to eye.

The RHS rattle could be the accelerator pedal, a number of people have discovered the bolt needs tightening under there. There is a thread about it somewhere and it might even tell you what size spanner you need to tighten it. There has also been a number of other suggestions from people in these forums as to where they found the right hand rattle but I don't remember them all.

QUOTE]

Looks like I need to go searching the forum for these rattles to help find the faint RHS one I have. Thanks :cheers!:

OK, I got off my butt and went in search of the rattle (now that I knew the glove box removal was only a five minute job (Thanks Krafty).

The rattle has now been narrowed down to behind the pax airbag. It starts at about 50rpm above idle and only stays for another 100rpm, but when your sitting at high idle it's bloody annoying. I'll book it into to Nissan and get them to investigate/fix.

It's probably just a loom rattling against the bodywork but still annoying.

Don't worry I had the Super Cheap add in my mind the whole time :)

I made sure to remove everything in the glove box and all nooks and crannies in the dash.

ive got a vibration in behind the dash as well.. it starts when i give it a bit at 4000rpms... although i dont always rev it that hard when i do it annoys the shit out of me.. i have taken out nearly the whole dash and it is still there (with no glovebox.the panel that hinges off.the two facias and the whole console). it sounds like it is in the heater box or somthing like a screw on the inside bottom of the plastic heater box...i am pulling it apart piece at a time and driving it till i find it...and i will if i have to pull the whole dash out..will report back when i find it hopefully tommorow as im gonna spend all day on it..

just a stab in the dark but i had a rattle and it ended up being the centre console tray ontop of the dash it was a friction plastic on plastic rattle. Popped it up and reset it into position and hasnt been back.

just a stab in the dark but i had a rattle and it ended up being the centre console tray ontop of the dash it was a friction plastic on plastic rattle. Popped it up and reset it into position and hasnt been back.

that was the first thing to go.. at the moment im driving it with just the instrument cluster.dashpad and the top glovebox and it is louder than ever..im sure its something to do with all that black plastic heater box stuff but nothing seems loose ...but ill find it...

apparently according to nissan it is a clutch line hose ratling, they have a fix also

FOUND IT!!!! After pulling the complete dash out and only left with the steering wheel the noise was still there. it ended up bein the shifter cable running up under the heater box! just after it comes off the shifter it runs forward then bends upward behind the heater.. this is where it was vibrating on the bend. so i put some double sided tape and a piece of rubber up under there on the heater box between the cable and the box.. i have taken some pics but cant work out how to put them up.. will try again later..so i have pulled everything out when really only needed the console out..just hope it all goes back together without creating another rattle or noise now..

..just hope it all goes back together without creating another rattle or noise now..

Which is what happened when I pulled my dash apart. some piece of rubber fell out into the passenger footwell and I had no idea where it came from. Oh well, my exhaust drowns out most noises anyway.

Latest posts

Back