1st gear low enough?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay

Reaction score
I have a 4x2 navara d22 with the yd25 engine and often find myself wanting a lower first gear when taking off on a hill and moreso with a heavy load.

Now the question i want to ask is, is the gearing ratio diferent in the 4x4 version? and also are the gearing ratio different between the zd30 and the yd25? as im looking to upgrade to a 4x4 but will look at other brands if the ratios are the same.

Thanks, Jay

Not sure if the same box is used in the single cab but the D22 Dualcab 2.5 is geared very high and you do need a cut lunch and a prayer when attempting a busy roundabout.

the early common rail D22 y25 uses the same gearing as the earlier ZD30 model. later ones has lower gearing.
certainly had trouble getting going in first even with the ZD30. thank goodness for low range. but for me the worse bit is low range isn't low enough.

4x2's have a longer diff than the 4x4's, but the gearboxes have the same ratio's according to the nissan spec sheets. you could stick a 4x4 diff in it, or even just the centre. according to the sheet 4x2 has 3.7:1 rear end and 4x4 has 4.625:1, apart from that i'm pretty sure they are the same, just the diff seems to be flipped over on the 4x4 so the springs can sit on top of the axle

Latest posts

Back