tyre presure towing jims

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

making tracks

Reaction score
have just put 265/70 r16 bfg ats on 2007 stx and want to know how much air should i have in them.Note that i am towing jims lawn mowing tailer with me every day and that the trailer does have a lean down onto the tow bar.Did 52kms on the original continentals. They are at 40 psi at the moment but because of the difference 265 up from 255 in size does this seem right? Also,will be getting camper trailer in Ausust and travel the high country in Victoria,please advise on presure for this also please ty

Hi there.

I usually have about 40psi in my tyres when i drive normally - and that includes towing from time to time.

I have 265/70's as well.

When i get off road, i drop all tyres (including camper trailer) down to about 20 psi. I find those pressures (40 on road, 20 off road) have suited me just fine for all the types of terrain i've come across so far - and well suited for Vic high country.

I might drop the pressures lower if I ever get into trouble in sand though - but i haven't done enough sand driving yet to warrant that.

For what your doing I would use the recommended Nissans tyre pressures as indicated on the placard/handbook.

There is an old rule of thumb that you can use if you are not sure. When your tyres are cold measure the pressure. Go for a decent drive and then measure your pressures again. If they have gone up by more than 2 or 3 psi they are too low.

I usually like to run a bit more air in my tyres than some tyre places seem to recommend. It all comes down to the load you are carrying really.

4.8GU said:
There is an old rule of thumb that you can use if you are not sure. When your tyres are cold measure the pressure. Go for a decent drive and then measure your pressures again. If they have gone up by more than 2 or 3 psi they are too low.

I usually like to run a bit more air in my tyres than some tyre places seem to recommend. It all comes down to the load you are carrying really.

I think you're referring to the 4psi rule. Take a cold tyre pressure reading, then drive for an hour. If your tyre pressure has raised more than 4psi then your cold pressure is too low, less than 4psi and your pressure is too high. And FYI, I run mine at 36psi cold, but my ute is fairly empty most of the time.

I though it was all about the wear. You want even wear on your tyre. Pressure too high the middle of the tyre wears quicker. Pressure too low and the inside and outside edges wear quicker. I am running 36psi cold on road and have even wear on my coopers.

Probably somwhere between 35-40PSI. Also, the less pressure the more "comfortable" the ride, harder tyres the "harsher" the ride.

Mitch

I put 40psi in the back as I always have alot of weight in the tub and 36 in the front, dont know if thats the best setup or not though, only time will tell.

depending on the gauge ,use your own all the time and use the 4 lb and you will be right, different servo ones are never right. by my gauge i run 37,tyre shop put in 42 by theres and 47 by mine

Latest posts

Back