new d40 st buzzing noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizz007

Reaction score
:wash_truck: Hi guys new to the forum ,
i recenty got my new st d40 td auto and so far so good, but today while washing it ,every 10 mins or so i heard a buzzing noise or it sounded like pressure being released from under the truck i thought it was coming from around the fuel tank area or the rear end of the truck, just wondering what this noise was as never heard it before,

Welcome to the forum!

It's got me beat. If the vehicle had been running beforehand I suppose the tank could have had some pressure in it but it should have vented that through the cap. The diffs have breathers but they're not a large-volume device so they can't hold a lot of gas - and they shouldn't buzz at all.

I don't think there are any relays back there either, and there'd be no reason for them to operating while the truck was turned off.

Was it possible that the exhaust was hot and there was water getting onto it?

tizz i have a similar noise mate, im not sure if yours is the same but mine makes a buzzing kind of noise when the A/C cuts back in. mine definately seems like its around the front end.

Welcome to the forum!

It's got me beat. If the vehicle had been running beforehand I suppose the tank could have had some pressure in it but it should have vented that through the cap. The diffs have breathers but they're not a large-volume device so they can't hold a lot of gas - and they shouldn't buzz at all.

I don't think there are any relays back there either, and there'd be no reason for them to operating while the truck was turned off.

Was it possible that the exhaust was hot and there was water getting onto it?

the truck was running just before i washed it so could of been water on the exhaust, will check it out next time i wash it lol

i have the same issue, i just search the forum and found this thread.
i get a weird humming, buzzing noise that comes from the under carriage. At first i though it was a vibration thing from slamming doors but then i noticed it happens even if the car is sitting there. The bloody thing lasts for about 5 seconds and then goes away. By the time i get down to look its gone. Will keep you posted as i go. Its annoying the crap outta me.

yea sounds like the same thing , i was stood around the car for 20 mins today and nothing happened , so i was thinking maybe it was water on the hot exhaust , the sound reminded me of a fuel pump switching on , but i dont think these have them on the common rail, keep us posted and i will do the same .

Yup your not hearing things, ive had my d40 aT for 12 months and it does it all the time even when locked and key out. I tink its some sort of pressure release, it sounds like alittle motor wizzing almost. Id love to find out what it is for sure!

Ive narrowed it down to the rear of the underside but each time i get under to find it the friggin thing stops. This morning i was in the Nav and my engine stalled due to a leaking fuel filter i noticed that the speedo lifted slightly for the duration of the buzzing and humming and then re-seated itself when it stopped.

I've discovered (in the manual) that the diesel has a pressure relief valve built into the fuel cap but also a pressure line running off the tank itself. Could your noise be coming from this?

Not sure Old.Tony. It happens even after being parked for a couple of hours and happens randomly. Ive noticed sometimes when you open or close a door first thing in the morning it will sometimes hum for about 5 seconds or so. For something so trivial it will be interesting to see what the outcome will be????

Mine is 08 auto, does it too. Figured it was fuel cap, line etc, equalizing pressure or somin. Have a 94 pulsar does a similar thing at random. After it's been running that is, but may be some time later.

Its plausible but the speedo needle lifting during the duration of the noise has me baffled. This happened only when the ignition was in on position though.

A pressure relief valve could still be the culprit, given that fuel will expand and contract in the tank based on the ambient temperature and you don't have to be in it for it to do that.

I'd be most interested in what this is. Usually my car sits outside and away from me, so once I've finished driving, I don't go near it.

Being mostly deaf probably helps a little too.

buzzing noise

Gday Ive had my D40 since jan 2008 its an auto 2.5 and its only the last 6 months I ve notice it making a buzzing noise. It seems to be comming from the fuel tank area and like the others its random. Its in the shop at the moment with a gasket problem between the exhaust and the turbo so will ask what the noise is. Lucky I took out nissans extended warranty!

Back