Converting a Nav tub to a trailer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Reaction score
With the glut of Nav tubs around on ebay etc has anyone looked into or thought of converting one to a trailer? Would need chassis/suspension/axle etc but with lights already there would probably look pretty smart.

Not a HUGE amount of room in the tub so I would add bars and a roof cage to it to increase space.

Interested in your thoughts.

Chassis would be pretty easy, and there are trailer kits on ebay even that you would be able to get. I think the ebay seller is spinnythings or something like that. Nothing too hard but I'm sure the costs would escalate pretty quick so I'm not sure if it would end up much more economical than a 6x4 box trailer. I'd be interested to see the figures though.

There was a guy on ebay that selling a trailer made from 2 D22 dual cab trays, both had ute lids. Make a good esky tray for tuff trucks.

Was on there a while back.

Dave.

There was a guy on ebay that selling a trailer made from 2 D22 dual cab trays, both had ute lids. Make a good esky tray for tuff trucks.

Was on there a while back.

Dave.

I saw that too Dave. I thought it was excellent. I'd consider this idea if I had
1) room
2)time
3)not so many other silly ideas and projects on the go :big_smile:
all in good time I say

I've seen a trailer made from a hiulx tub.

It used the rear part of a hilux chassis, so the tray bolted straight up to the chassis. They built a tool box onto the front over the draw bar. It also used the same leafs as a hilux and had a towbar.
It looked really neat and would be good for parts if your out in the bush.

I've thought of giving it a go myself. There are plenty of damaged chassis at the wreckers that you could use.

would be interesting to have a go. might get onto the wreckers to see if they have 1 in half decent nick. give it a shot, cos i dont have any huge projects on the go, and could be good fun

Im making one as we speak, i have 1 whole navara tub then i have added the rear part with tailgate (620mm long) onto the front of that. i should be painting and making the trailer frame within the next 2 weeks and adding the camper top.. will see if i can find pics..

cheers mark

Here we go... i have tons of pics but was not going to put them up yet.

17042009004.jpg

17042009005.jpg

22042009006.jpg

I will do, it is fully welded and smoothed now, i only need to sand it down and respray it, then make the chassis for it. i will take more pics then..

cheers mark.

I started on the trailer base last night for a few hours and have nearly got the base done, im finishing it this morning and also getting the tyres put onto the rims, so it should be rolling today with the tub on. will put pics up this arvo..

here is what i got done last night, had to quit to watch ufc fight night..
17092009.jpg

17092009003.jpg

17092009001.jpg

cheers mark.

Well there will be no wheels on it today, i just went to get the tyres fitted to the rims after being told the sidewall puncture has been fixed and i get there only to be told that they cant fix it... not a good start to the day i guess..

cheers mark.

im currently building one out of a d40 extra cab tub. lucky enuf to get a black tub which should look tops behind my black dualcab.

should have trailer done in the next couple of weeks, just need to get hubs with brakes to suit d40 alloys and a couple of rims and she'll be a goer.

once trailer is done i'll be starting a lift-off camper to go on it.

got a thread goin on forum under d40 camper trailer in trips & touring to keep ya's updated on any progress.

Well its now rolling, only a few small things to do still like treg hitch, water tank and power, ect..

20092009002.jpg

20092009001.jpg

21092009001.jpg

21092009.jpg

cheers mark.

Mate thats awesome, I think you may have started somethin'!!
Quick question, how are you going to seal the tail gates, I know mines not got a good seal.
Isn't the front one in particular is going to let lots of water/dust in??

Last edited:
Mate thats awesome, I think you may have started somethin'!!
Quick question, how are you going to seal the tail gates, I know mines not got a good seal.
Isn't the front one in particular is going to let lots of water/dust in??

I was thinking of making them up but we will see how it goes. im using compressed foam to seal the tailgates.

cheers mark.

After reading this thread I gotta get my brother to teach me how to weld and to get better at fab work.

Mark some nice work there.

Plus I wanted to check out my new Sig line. Lol.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back