Lifting alloy bullbar After bodylift: Help needed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy222220_0

Reaction score
Well after my bodylift just been driving around with a big gap between the bullbar and the grill, looks ridiculous.

The only way I can see to fix it is:

1. Change the way the bar mounts to its brackets.
Probably the easiest to do only requires 1 extra hole per side but looks to be very weak and probably wouldn't stand up to a roo or similar.

2. Plate the mounts. Essentually extending the mounts up 50mm to be the same as factory. gonna be a PITA to do.

Gonna have to remove all the paint off mounts, grind off nuts (welded to mounts). Weld an extra 50mm of 6mm plate on top and also plate the inside of the mount for strength (plug welds). Grind smooth, cut new holes and weld on nuts again in new position(s). And repaint.

Would option 1 be strong enough??
Or do i just say f**k it and do it properly the 1st time and spend all day on it.

Attachments

• Bullbar bodylift.jpg
    Bullbar bodylift.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 188
Do it properly first time. My bar is for a 2wd, so when I fit it to mine I had the same problem as you, and it took so long to do the hack job in anticipation of doing it properly that I may as well have just done it properly the first time.

I cut my mounts and rewelded them with an offset. They were so overspecified to begin with it didn't matter.

G day tommy, you installed zordo's body lift kit right ? i got the same one off him and am going 2 put it on this weekend. I personally would just do it right the first time, i know its going to be a pain in the f%#@ing ass but at the end of the days its your pride and joy and you want to keeps her looking good. also i know i wouldnt sleep right at night knowing that if a did happen to run into something or someone that my bull bar wouldnt hold up, let us know how you go and maybe a few pics would be great. Cheers

Matty

G day tommy, you installed zordo's body lift kit right ?

Yeah Matty, see the guide in DIY section

i got the same one off him and am going 2 put it on this weekend. I personally would just do it right the first time, i know its going to be a pain in the f%#@ing ass but at the end of the days its your pride and joy and you want to keeps her looking good. also i know i wouldnt sleep right at night knowing that if a did happen to run into something or someone that my bull bar wouldnt hold up, let us know how you go and maybe a few pics would be great.

mmm, will phone mrs welder and arrange a date...

Does the OP have airbags? You can't do a bodylift on vehicles with airbags in some states. Can't remember which, either/both VIC or QLD.

Ok, Finished this Today.

Took the easy option as its only an alloy bar and its as strong as after lifting it.

Here the bar before the lift (notice big gap ~ ugly)
IMG_0122.jpg

Bar off (4x12mm bolts with captive nuts on mounting brackets)
IMG_0123.jpg

Here's the bar to chassis mounting (s)
IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

Drilled 1 hole each side in the bar first and fitted up to ute and marked the holes on the 12mm steel plate. (12mm is thick especially with a blunt 1/2" bit)
You also need to grind/file a 20x10mm section out of the bar to allow the mounting brackets to poke through. (horizontal plate belwo bullbar mounting tabs)
IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

#Note: be careful when alligning the wings!

End result
IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

Last edited:
looks good mate.......but just remember to leave a big enough gap so is when you do hit something it doesnt push your bar up and damage your body;ie your flares.just a thought,cheers.

Nice work mate.

That will hold as good as original I recon.

I did my Patrol alloy bar today as well. Also did a bit of customising on it as well.

Must have been the day for it.

Nice work mate.

That will hold as good as original I recon.

I did my Patrol alloy bar today as well. Also did a bit of customising on it as well.

Must have been the day for it.

Yeah, had an impacted wisdom tooth out last week, so needed some thing to take my mind off the ache.

Also did my chrome rear step as well. Was only Drill 6 holes 2" lower down. (did this 1st, hense blunt drill bit:angry:)

Yep, Centre punch, pilot then 3/8" then 1/2"
was to awkward to fit in the press. ::(:

I know its my own fault, but all hardware shops are closed when ever I start, so have to make do with what I've got.

At least once it's already blunt you can go into it with the full body weight without worrying

Hey tommy, I just got my body lift in last nite... looking at the thickness of the bracket i can see why your drill bit went blunt!! any pointers? i can see it being tedious!

Buy a new drill bit before your start and ask a mate over to help.

..and plently of liquid pain relief before, during and after.:big_smile:

Ahh mate the body lift was painfull enough!! 6 friggen bolts supplied were incorrect! im having a drama of a time tryin to find 2 more... ive managed to find ones for the other 4... but for the ones at the rear of the cab! NIGHTMARE!

Did you guys put that tailshaft safetly loop back on with some spacers or something or did you ditch it?

Cheers
Paul

Ahh mate the body lift was painfull enough!! 6 friggen bolts supplied were incorrect! im having a drama of a time tryin to find 2 more... ive managed to find ones for the other 4... but for the ones at the rear of the cab! NIGHTMARE!

Who did you get the kit off? I got mine from Zordo on here and everything went together perfectly.

Did you guys put that tailshaft safetly loop back on with some spacers or something or did you ditch it?

Put mine back on, as the long range tank goes over the tailshaft. Just used some 50x50x3 RHS as spacers.

Latest posts

Back