Intercooler fittment after Bodylift

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NiftyNev

Reaction score
Was a bit lost as to which section this should be in... as its a bit of both. But I am looking at getting an intercooler for the Nav, and its had its 2" Bodylift. As this obviously raises the bonnet from the engine... has anyone got a top mount intercooler fitted that has done this?
Also wondering about the bonnet modification.... has anyone done the scoop themselves?
I can get a top mount intercooler for 400 bucks or so off a wrecked nav, but given the body lift, and the benefit of the better cooling, I am weighing up whether the extra cost of a front mount kit would be worth it?
Is there anything else I need to know about fitting an intercooler to the pre-common rail ZD30?

Cheers :cheers!:

Was a bit lost as to which section this should be in... as its a bit of both. But I am looking at getting an intercooler for the Nav, and its had its 2" Bodylift. As this obviously raises the bonnet from the engine... has anyone got a top mount intercooler fitted that has done this?
Also wondering about the bonnet modification.... has anyone done the scoop themselves?
I can get a top mount intercooler for 400 bucks or so off a wrecked nav, but given the body lift, and the benefit of the better cooling, I am weighing up whether the extra cost of a front mount kit would be worth it?
Is there anything else I need to know about fitting an intercooler to the pre-common rail ZD30?

Cheers :cheers!:

i would put a front mount on because wen i did my bodylift i found there as about a 2.5" to 3" gap under the radiator support n the chassis so it will be protected from the ground un like other kits but if u do it urself it should not cost over $800. :thank_you2:

I have been looking at some of the front mount kits.. but none I can see where I can get the bits and pieces for $800? Or just some core that suits, generic style and then work the hosing out? Have you got one on yours? I havent seen many pics of a front mount on a nav, just the one that is from one place on the net here.. ARE i think? Are there any others?

I am currently doing a frontmount. Bought a generic one off ebay and currently trying to source pipe etc. It may come in at under $400 when im finished if im lucky.
If I could get a top mount that fits up easy enough for $400 like you say you can I would go for it. Does it come with a fan etc.
A top mount gives you a good reason to have a bonnet scoop too.
A front mount is supposedly more effective though

Its an intercooler straight off another Navara ZD30.. but now with the extra room I am wondering about mounting an extra 2"off the motor so that it still seals against the bonnet scoop.. and perhaps keep a bit further from the heatsoak? I have to find out about the fans though. And will have to get a scoop and cut a hole etc.....
Any idea where to get a scoop from?

Have been doing a fair bit of reading on here this morning on various sites... and from what i can find out.. I am tempted to give the secondhand one I can get a miss, given that it doesnt come with the scoop, its a nissan one, which dont perform very well at the best of times, and from what I have read are prone to cracking.
The other options I have found are....
Front mount kit from 4wd Systems, 1590 or so plus postage. Upside? Dont need to worry about the body lift creating extra gap, and its not getting heat soak. Not in the way when wanting to change oil filters/Air Filters. Disadvantage? Further away, requiring more space, and more lag in the spool up?

Top mount from Cross Country, with fan. 1320 or so plus shipping. Upside? Cheaper, good reviews that I can find, Fan, get the cool scoop. Apparently better performance that the front mount? (Dubious but can believe that they would at least be on par anyway)
Downside? Looks like a pain to change filters, also I have to step it up to match the body lift, or create a shroud that sits up to the bonnet, and leave at normal height. (Probably preferred if it was every to have the body lift taken out?)

Anyway.. as far as I can tell, I am leaning towards the aftermarket stronger units with better airflow, and a fan. Also seems getting a scoop is worth a few hundred anyway, plus the fact that its all secondhand, add in the slightly worse performance, and no support with the item, it seems that its nt sufficiently cheaper to run the extra risks of the lower price.

Keen for anyone elses views...

Other option is of course as Charlie stated, but given my time away at work versus time back in country with the car.... I am not sure i have the time to muck around working it all out...

I like the look of the cross country one.If I had the money I would be tossing up ASE front mount or cross country top.
I have had to weld brackets to my ebay one and have been dicked around by overseas websites trying to get a cheap kit of bends etc to plumb it all up with.

I will probably buy a 6 metre length of ally pipe 60mm od by 3mm wall thickness (have been quoted $80) and then bend up bits at work and weld some,join some with the silicon pipe joiners etc.

I have access to the welder,pipe bender and some material for brackets and I reckon it will still cost at least $400 by the time I finish

cross country top mount

Have a top mount cross country unit fitted approx 12 months ago and have done about 30000km in it had some intial fan and bracket trouble but cross country fix all with out a problem .As for changing oil filter no change plenty of room to remove .Air filter is a bit harder but when check air filter I pop off intercooler and check all joins etc takes about 5min to remove intercooler 4 bolts ,2 clamps and 3 electrical joiners and a vacuum hose .
Cut hole in bonnet myself and used aluiminum angle for brackes along the edges and used sicaflex to hold angle in place with patrol bonnet scoop
I am happy but each to his own
Chris

Thanks Chris,
I have only heard good things really about the Cross Country, but that was on Patrol forums etc, I didnt manage to find anything here about them on Nav's yet. From the pics I gathered it was a really quick job to pop it off and do everything, so it wasn't putting me off much. I intend to do all the cutting etc. myself also. I just have to see what scoop they provide with the kit, as the phone call I had with them this arvo dropped out.
I am nearly am nearly 100% now that this is the way I will go, just have to sort out the body lift and I am set.
Its a like christmas all over again, except better, cos least these things are useful. Now its hard to wait until next week to get around to ordering it cos the holiday.
Do you have any pics of yours Chris?
Cheers.

Just to drag this back up, but I am keen on the cross country kit, just wondering as I am yet to order it due to an impulse buy of a house...(and don't they come with some expenses??!).
I rang up to enquire and was told they want a $500 buck deposit to build, and they wouldnt be doing a run for 6 to 8 weeks? Is this what other people that have gone the cross country fan driven intercooler have experienced? I don't mind putting down some money to get it built, but then having to wait two months before its even started, making 3 months probably by the time i get it, seems a bit extreme?
I am still keen on this version as it is top mount, but its offset from the top of the engine, and means a lot less plumbing to run around my engine bay, as I have other things going on in there... lol Also the fact that it has a fan, and my ute has the body
lift to give me the extra room.
It does seem like a very well priced kit though overall compared to the front mount kits around, (Not including the build yourself versions of course....)

Latest posts

Back