First Fraser Island Trip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagMan

Reaction score
Just back from my first trip to Fraser Island in 20+ years (last time i was 15 ish)
We towed the camper trailer up and camped at Frasers at cathedral beach for 4 nights. We left early as it pissed down for two days.
Still had an awesome time. We did a few inland tracks and never looked like betting stuck.
The only damage that was done was to the passenger side side step - repositioned rearward again. Some of the tracks were for "experienced 4wd drivers only" acording to the derm website.

These tracks are where we did the damage. Needed low range first gear to climb some of the washouts. Even with the car lifted we still bottomed out.

Will post some pics and more info when the cleanup is done

Last edited:
here are some of the pics. Did not get any of the tracks. Just general stuff.

We arrived on friday morning at the barge - as it had been raining the sand from inskip point to the barge was rock solid and easy. We were on the island about 3 hours before low tide and needed to dodge a few waves getting around hook point.

From then on it was great driving. Took about 1.25 hours to reach the camp at freaser at cathedral beach.

Great camp site - huge tree cover where we were camped. there was so much shade that we could not use the solar panels to charge the camper batteries. This caused some dramas later on in the trip(had to recharge from the car).
I would suggest next time we camp there we will be betting a gen set or a powered site.

Diesel at the campsite was $2.15/litre. The cheapest we found was at Kingfisher Bay $1.87. It was $2.10 at Orchod Beach.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 131
  • 180.JPG
    180.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 214.JPG
    214.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 215.JPG
    215.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 151
No fish - took rods etc but it was more a family getaway than a fishing trip for dad. I plan on doing another trip with my dad in a few months - that will be all about fishing.

It is funny how things change - once upon a time my dad took me camping! Of course when he took me it was in an old cj5 willys army jeep with no doors,seat belts and a fold down windscreen for air con :suicide2:
We would spend more time digging the %#$fing thing out of the sand. No snatch straps of maxtrax in those days.:big_smile:

nice work mate,it looks like a top spot.hopefully when you get away with your dad you get on to a few nice tailor!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back