Oil Catch can mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been tinkering around with my catch can getting it ready to install.
basically the pics tell the story

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

In short what I have done is take a standard Ebay specail type unit and made a baffle to stop the air short cycling from the inlet to outlet and its forced to travel down through the stainless steel wool and then past the baffle to the outlet.

nice work. so u made the stainless steel divider thingo? also what size are the openings in the inlets 10 or 15mm? how big is the catch can cause im looking fro a small one to install in my ute

cheers
Rusty

The baffle thingy is made from some alloy sheet I had laying around. I just cut it up to fit snugly inside the canister.The Canister is approx 150mm tall and 80mm in dia.The inlet and outlet on mine are 10mm but you can also get them in 15mm

I run hydraulic hose on mine.

Its better with oil, its rated for 500psi. Overkill sure.

But I wont have to worry about it for a long long time.

I am actually thinking about getting some aluminium tube to make my main lines from with power steering tube for the flexible joints .
Going to mount the can next to the BCM behind the ABS brain
Just have to make up some brackets to mount it .

Hello Aussie, hope you don't mind me adding my efforts to your post.

On my V6 (D22) the hose is 5/8" (16mm), and the Calibre catch can I bought had 2 x 3/8" (10mm) and 1 x 5/8" adaptor in the kit. I just ended up sticking some short lengths of 10mm hose onto the small adaptors, and the bigger 5/8" heater hose I bought slipped snugly over the smaller hose. The PCV valve had 5/8" fittings as well.

This shows there is indeed oil getting into the intake through the valve.
DSCF8022.jpg

I got some short copper pipe and bonded it to the inlet adaptor so it stuck down into the s/s scrubbers, hopefully should work ok.
DSCF8031.jpg

Short 3/8" hose on small adaptors
DSCF8032.jpg

I've packed the s/s scrubbers up into the lid and the copper pipe extends down into it. I didn't want to restrict the gas flow too much. Can you blow through your inlet Aussie and get a good flow through your setup? I was checking mine all the time, got a bit paranoid about it.
DSCF8034.jpg

All installed, took the emissions canister bracket out and drilled it to take the can mount.
DSCF8036.jpg

Hopefully it all works ok, the only thing I didn't do was put a little tap in the base to drain any oil out. It will be a pain to undo this to empty each tim, all depends on the amount caught I guess. :cheers!:

Ray block that EGR to.

Ill have a look at the VG33E EGR and see if its the same as the ZD30DDT and YD25DDTI ones.

If it is Ill let you know.

Looks like they have used the same extrusions etc .I was thinking about doing the same with the pipe but couldnt figure out a way of holding it in place without welding etc.
I have checked the flow through before and after the mod and cant feel any difference.
The fact we now have 2 designs for these type canisters is good. Gives people the options.If anyone else has designs for Catch Cans itmeans there are even more options.
I still have to figure out the drain bit as well.Will have a look through some fittings I have left from the race car and see what I can sort out.

Thanks for the EGR tip Dave.

I did have a length of 3/8" hose running down to the bottom of the can from the inlet, but I thought it may restrict the flow too much so I did the short copper piece. Took a while to file the end of it away so I could jam it into the inlet adaptor, then use some araldite to bond it, (would have preferred some metal bond).

Yours is a good design Aussie, had me scratching my head how to form a metal piece so it would seal effectively. If my simple design doesn't work, I might copy yours before you wack a patent on it :cheers!:

If you want measurements just gimme a yell
I basically just measured it up and went from there
Its not a perfect seal being metal on metal and hand filed but the path of least resistance is down through the media

Well..........
I just looked at it and cut out a template from cardboard and went from there
No flash tools it was all done with a hacksaw , file, bench vise and a cordless drill
Anyone would be able to make it
It would be really easy to do with a die cut press
If I had to do it again I would buy the sheet pre cut to the width and then just have to trim the top part

There are a heap of different ways to force the air to go through the media ather than just short cycles from input to output.I only went this way as I had everything here as far as materials go to be able to do it this way.

Latest posts

Back