Loud clunking when accelerating

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preston1908

Reaction score
I have a brand new manual D40 ST. Sometimes when I cruise on the freeway and I accelerate hard to overtake a loud metalic clunking come from the engine bay? Any ideas?

First thing I'd suspect is an engine mount, which is surprising on a new vehicle but then it might have been installed incorrectly. The Thai factory has stuffed things up before, just ask Aido, who was so annoyed by the issues with his that he went on a quest for a book of holy matches and a Divine Backhoe.

I'm assuming that you're not trying to engage 4WD, and that you have it in 2WD mode on the freeway so it's not the transfer case. Does the clutch slip at all when you're taking off in low gear? If it does, you might have a clutch/pressure plate (possibly the throw-out lever) issue - again, it'll be a factory assembly thing if it is.

Of course, it could always be the turbo actuator. This thing makes a thumping sound when it goes haywire but it's not a high-pitched tinging sound, it's more like a thump and usually happens with a lot of "hits" rapidly rather than just once.

Back