New member with D40 timing chain problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navara nomad

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have just joined up - currently sitting in a caravan park in WA (a long way from home in NSW while our Navara is repaired and back on the road.
Dropped it into the Nissan service centre for 60,000km service 8 days ago and were unable to get it back because the motor was about to blow up! Its an auto diesel, 07 model with a canopy and registered April, has been serviced regulary - every 5,000kms since we bought it with 40,000km on the clock, and we tow a van just under two and a half tonne.

The vacuum pump sprocket has had a chip come off the timing chain.

Wondering whether any other owners have had this same problem or are we just unlucky?

The part will take between 4 to 7 weeks to arrive from Spain where they are manufactured - none available in Australia at this time we are told. Nissan Australia has ok'd a hire car which we picked up on Wednesday - which we appreciate.

Would love to hear from you if you have had it happen to you.

navara nomad

What caravan park are you stuck in? Just remember, you are in WA, which im told stands for "Wait Awhile". prob only take about 3 weeks if you were in NSW lol

ive heard of a few stories where the bolts have been done up so badly the vac pump and injector pump have fallen off !
i was told some of the quality of engine building is poor, bolts either done up so tight they have stripped or not done up at all.

I would like to know how they picked it up when you didn't.

Consider what they would actually be doing during a service.

Anyway welcome mate. Hope it all gets sorted for you.

Was making a noise and the service manager said as soon as he heard it start he knew there was some serious problem. They had to spend a lot of hours on it until they found out what it was - kept it over the weekend and worked all day Monday on it.

The previous service was done just after we arrived in WA mid April and a noise was noted on the service report there. We were told to mention it at the next service if it got any worse.

Could be worse - if we had driven much further.

Latest posts

Back