petrol versus diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mav481970

Reaction score
Why does everbody buy diesel trucks.i got a v6 its got heaps more power than the diesel on road, its also 8 grand cheaper.:rock:

Old Tony had a good reply on earlier thread on the topic. Type in Petrol bs Diesel or vice versa and it comes up.

Anyways this is some extract from that thread.

Old.Tony said:
Fuel economy for starters. Diesel fuel produces more energy than petrol, so the diesel engine will produce more power. As a result, you can have a smaller capacity motor that provides similar power. In the D40 range, as an example, the diesel gets around 10LPHK while the petrol gets around 15LPHK - that's 50% more fuel used to go the same distance.

If you're going to do water crossings, your petrol will fail as soon as water reaches the ignition circuit (meaning coil -> distributor -> sparkplugs). Diesels don't have spark plugs, so they are almost immune to this.

However, the diesels often have turbochargers. Turbochargers are expensive to replace and they can be very easily damaged if they aren't treated well. A sudden dunking while still super hot, or repeatedly switching the engine off while the turbo is still hot will quickly kill it. And without an intercooler, killing the turbocharger also kills the engine as the broken metal pieces enter the cylinders and are pressed into the working surfaces.

Another thing to consider is the availability of fuel. If you're buying this with the intention of visiting the outback, be aware that there are some places where you just can't get unleaded fuel.

Diesels also cost more to service. The oil you need to use in the crankcase needs to withstand the blow-by that diesels produce (in far greater amounts than petrol engines). The fuel filters are more expensive. Although there are no spark plugs to replace regularly, there are glow plugs that need to be checked and replaced (although a lot more rarely than spark plugs).

If you like the petrol model, are happy to pay the extra for fuel, aren't going to take the thing into the outback and want a quieter motor - do it.

Very true their, i suppose a mainly use my truck around town for work so thats why i bought a v6 , i also got a pathfinder diesel 140kw so i compare them to each other for power, thats the wife truck .
cheers

I have the 2007 V6 manual and love driving it.
Best I have ever done was smoke a Porsche Cayanne at the racetrack. Can stay with a V8 Supercar till we hit the first turn at Wakefield
Going to take a damm long time for the cheaper economy of the Diesel to ever catch up with the dollars I saved initially.
The choice is personal and I reckon you cant go wrong with a Petrol engine
However the way the Gov is taxing our roads and fuels the big engine of anything will soon be a thing of the past.

I am also considering buying a V6 petrol. I am normally a diesel man but did not like the Navaras short 1st gear. I live in perth and do most of my traveling in Perth. I dont think river crossings will be something that I will be doing however I do go on the beach fishing. I did try all the other dual cabs on the market and the hilux in both petrol and diesel. I love the way the Hilux looks on the outside but it is boring inside and like a boat to drive. One of the bonus points for me is I do not have to pay for fuel.

mav481970 said:
Anybody know how extra kilowatts does exhaust and chip give the v6.

Someone may correct me and please do if I'm incorrect, but "chipping" a petrol engine is different then a diesel. A diesel engine needs fuel and is what most chips do. They increase the fuel rail pressure and pour more fuel in.

If you want more kw put of na petrol engine, less restrictive air filter, free flow exhaust, bigger injectors, extractors etc

How much extra kw will ya get?? I'm not sure.

Well Martin i think if youre driving around town the petrol the way to go,heaps cheaper to buy got heaps of grunt , I spoke to 4wd adventure expert over here in adelaide he said narvaras are the best 4wd to buy he wont touch hiluxs or mitsees.

v6 petrol i meant, i know you can chip them but power increases i dont know ,not as much as turbo diesel of course.i just want to know how much more kw you can get out of v6 petrol.

cheers

The VQ40 also comes out in the D40 Frontier. The guys in the states have been playing with the engine for a few years. Latest mod I have heard of was installing the inlet runners from a 350Z onto the VQ40. there are small power gains in doing things like putiing the timing advance up by 2 degrees but nothing major. in short they got the engine pretty much on the money when they designed it.198kw from a 4lt engine was unheard of not too many years ago so they are doing pretty well with what they send out of the factory.
The only real gain that I have heard of for sheap dollars is to change the y pipe in the exhaust. Its restrictive and badly designd. From the states we can get long or short tube headers and big bore exhausts and even though there are power gains to be made the cost vs economy limits the results.When my standard exhaust fails I will look at making something more free flowing but till then whats stock seems to be ok .There is a Supershanger kit available for about $5000 US from Stillen but with todays EPA laws etc it may get really exxy to install here.

I bought the diesel for the economy, plus back in 2006 the VG33E was dead. So had no choice.

I rarely do short trips, so the diesel was the best option.

Been a great truck.

Latest posts

Back