Speedo drive

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajcmbrown

Reaction score
Without dragging my old but under the car in the dark, can anyone who has had experience with the speedo drive on a td27 gearbox tell me if it is a traditional driven gear on the speedo sender?

My reason for asking is simple, I have put 31" tyres on my poor old Navara and now my speedo is a fair way out.

In my distant memory from being a spare parts interpreter, speedo driven gears come in different colours, each with a slightly ratio so that if different sized wheels/tyres/diff ratios are used then it could be compensated for by using the appropriate coloured gear.

I dont even know if the 96 Navara uses this type of sender or not, maybe someone here can advise if this is the case.

Alternatively, if anyone has a spares listing or a link to a spare parts catalogue, I could find out for myself.

I have searched but could not find any.

I am probably being optimistic that such a simple fix could solve my speedo reading, but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
Yes. The gears are the same whether cable driven or electronic. I don't know the colours, the 4.625 pictured below is red, I forget what colour the 4.8:1 was (also red maybe?). You need a gear from the next tallest ratio if you're running bigger tyres.

BuildLog017_005.jpg

Looks like I need to remove mine and count the teeth, then buy one with one less tooth to start with, since I think mine is reading under by about 10%, maybe try two teeth less.

This will be of interest to anyone who has changed their tyres to non standard Diameter.

I changed my standard tyres to 275/70/17's and this caused the speedo to read under by 6%.

I investigated fitting an electronic switch to convert the signal but having had a Jeep before and changing tyres and gears a few times I wanted to correct the problem at the SOURCE and not the dash display.

After almost NINE months I finally found the part numbers and a big thanks go to Wayne at Blackburn Nissan 4x4 for getting this for me.

The standard pinion speedometer gear on a 3.0L GU Manual has 17 teeth and in my case my speedo is reading 6% below the actual speed.

So to calculate the correct gear:
Standard Gear = 17 Teeth
Speedo Error = 6% Below
6% of 17 = 1.02
Number of teeth Required = 16 (17-1)

Of course if your speedo is reading higher then the actual speed then you need to add teeth.

The following part numbers are needed to order the correct gear:

32743-VB015 15 Teeth
32743-VB016 16 Teeth
32743-74P17 17 Teeth
32743-74P18 18 Teeth
Cost approx $50.

Again - Thanks to Blackburn Nissan 4x4 for this information.

To install the gear:
I have documented the steps in a series of pictures below.

1) Locate the pinion speedo gear Housing - just next to the Handbrake Drum at the rear of the gearbox.

2) Using a 10mm socket - remove the screw on the side of the housing and
slowly pull the housing out. Warning - you will lose about a cup of gear oil
so place a bucket under the gear box. Dont worry - it will run out and stop
after about 10 seconds

3) Remove the old gear (Black in Picture)
The gear is held on by a C-Clip which uses tiny holes. I just used a
screw driver to remove it.

4) Put the new gear on the spindle (Yellow) and re-attach the C-Clip

5) Push the gear housing back into the gear box. It will need a slight tap to
reseat the O-Ring. And screw in the bolt (dont over tighten).

Took the car for a drive and it is reading almost 100% accurate with the GPS.

This is the best $50 I have spent on my car.

PS: In case you are wondering - I did top up the gear box oil.

Happy new year and regards

Count the teeth on your gear and divide it by the percentage your's is out.

Thanks Dave, I will check it against my GPS, I would still like it to read a little high if anything so that I have that safety buffer with speed cameras or if someone else drives it and doesn't realise that its not "optimistic" like almost all factory speedo's are by about 4-5%.

If it is out by 10% I will go down two teeth (Assuming 17 teeth, 1.7 teeth would make it accurate) so it still has a slight buffer.

Now I just need to find a Nissan dealer who knows what they are talking about.

I did find some info online here 1995 Nissan Hardbody Pickup (1995-1997) Speedometer Pinion - 3271067 and it seems that the Navara speedo gears are way cheaper ($16 vs $60-70) than Patrol gears.

It would be a good idea to have a thread listing the different part numbers for different gears to fit Navaras.

But they dont seem to list D21 Navara, only D22. I suppose they can still supply any Nissan parts though.

Last edited:
He's more of a person than a business, just email him and he can get anything that Nissan stocks.

red is 4.6 diff purple bluey one is 4.8 red has 20 splines other has 21 mainly in terranos

Latest posts

Back