Tyre advice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milton1964

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the info posted here its fantastic help.
Now I need some advice. My D22 is up for new tyres ASAP and I dont want to wait much longer as theres not much traction left in the wet.
Next year we are planning a trip north to Cape York around June (2012)
I average about 25000km a year on the road.
Which tyres will still have good off road ability with approx 25 to 30K on them.
Thanks in advance

Milton

That's a tough one

As off road ability is a function of aggressive tread and soft compound, both things which cut on-road longevity, it's a matter of trying to have your cake and eat it too.

If it were me making this decision I'd buy some cheapie Chinese on-road tyres now (nice hard compound; no grip, but last forever)... and some proven, quality off-road tyres just before going away.

But then again if you believe Toyota Monthly, you can now do the Cape in a lowered Supra.

Thanks Dion,
I was thinking along the lines of cheapies for 12 months or so, just hoping against hope I guess.
Think I'll give the Supra a miss though :)

Don't despair yet, some of the guys who run a single set of tyres (I run HTs on the road and muddies only when playing) might chip in shortly with their recommendations for brands with good longevity on an aggressive tread.

I run Cooper St's generally. Had 2 sets on my Nav and no complaints at all. Average 80,000km's out of a set.

I also have a set of MTZ's but they wear quick with road driving.

An acquaintance of mine had a Cooper on their Disco explode at 110kph a few weeks back. Rear tyre exploded and damaged three panels which require the front door repaired, the rear door and back panel replaced. The insurance company was planning to hit Cooper for the bill because they claim there is evidence enough to support that it was a tyre fault. Not sure how it panned out in the end but it's a scary thought, I've had truck tyres explode and wrap around the axle and guards but my old boss used to run re-treads so that's not suprising, wouldn't want it happening in a car.

iv got maxxis bighorns on my d40, done 20,000kms on em so far and they havent worn much at all. allot more traction in the wet than the standard tyres and great offroad, or i have the standard dunlop grandtrek at20 255/70-16 that have only done a couple thousand kms if you want em cheap, i just want em gone

Latest posts

Back