Low oil light on

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zasq

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just started my 7000kms D40 on a hill and took of anr the low oil light came on for a couple of minutes then went off, I checked the oil level "full", restarted the car and it happen again. What should i do?

I had similar happen but mine was the oil pressure. I traded it in straight away.

If I was you I would take it straight to Nissan, that's what the warranty is for.

All fixed,not doing it know, I think I just was a bit hard on the gas from starting on a hill, had to pull out in front of traffic and I gave it a bootful.
Just restarted several times and went for a drive and no sign of low oil sign.

Last edited:
Happened to mine,checked the oil level,rang nissan and they told me it's a faulty sensor.
Happens a bit they said.There is two sensors for low oil level apparantly.
Get them replaced under warranty.
They told me low oil level warning does not mean low oil pressure,which makes sense.

Yep, Low Oil warning is different to oil pressure issue. My Nissan dealer said it was a common fault. Easy way to get rid of it is to leave ignition on and door open for six (6) minutes. According to them anyway.

Thanks
Sounds like a common lame solution fron Nissan, they are so full of it. I wish they were like Toyota, my work van Hiace had a warranty issue and was fix so easy by Stewart Toyota at Kirrawee, why cant they do nissan work too.

My dash has said "lo Oil" twice in 18 months, once was at about 3 months on almost flat ground 1000ks from home the day after doing 8 hours in 45 degree heat. It lasted for about 5 secs, I did all the usual checks and nothing was amiss so I ignored it. And the second time was about 4 weeks ago parked on a hill whilst bouncing around the farm. Didn't even bother lifting the dip stick that time, it went off and never came back on despite spending the next three hours scooting around the hills.

My Lo oil has just come on with the oil light flashing. It was sitting for five minutes while I went into a shop,shut it down checked oil it was fine restarted the same thing happened. Dealer next always happens on a long weekend glad I wasnt down at the beach somewhere.

There was another thread on here recently that had someone claiming something weird like making sure the door was shut or open. I don't remember what it was called or the exact steps but apparently it's a common problem and the open/shut door theory is well spoken about on the net which means it's right.

Mines only ever done it when starting and about 30 secs was enough to clear it but considering the oldman's ecu once reported that the oil temp reached minus 35 while we were crossing the Nullarbor it's not unheard of to have glitches.

I spoke to the nissan assist people which offered little assistance, except for are you confident that there is enough oil in it if so drive it home and book it in with the dealer for service and inspection.

Realistically I wouldn't expect any manufacturers phone assistance to do much more than that. They aren't going to send someone out unless it's serious and if there is oil in it then chances are it's going to turn out to be a glitch rather than a problem.

If I wasn't 1200ks from home trying for 4000 the first time, up on the side of a hill the second time, and trusted my local dealer I might have done something about mine. But both times the dipstick revealed oil and neither service after each time the light has come on has showed excessive usage so until such time as it becomes a regular thing or doesn't go off after 30secs or so I'm ignoring mine.

I have a vague recollection of someone suggesting there is an over full oil sensor, maybe it was on something else and that's why it's only a vague recollection but if not it could be a reason for the warning.

Thread revival.
Mine came on for the second time in a week yesterday. The first time it was on a hill and the second was on a slight slope.

Rang Nissan and he said is it due for a service? no, was it serviced early? no. Hmm it might just need a reset. A reset for low oil, who is he kidding!!!
It has 7500kms on it.

So i checked the oil once i got home and it's just above the little hole for low oil. I checked it cold then also checked it after it had been running (after reading the manual) and there wasn't much difference between the readings.

My first time would have been before 7500ks because I think I left home for Perth with 2800 ks on the clock and the second time would have been around 15K maybe and it hasn't happened again in the last 18 months, but if yours is just above the low oil mark maybe it needs some oil in it.

I would imagine if your oil is low on the stick and you were on a hill when it happened, the sensor is likely working correctly. I would top up the oil..
The low oil light came on for me once.. But it was after giving the engine bay a good wash so I figured it was water in the sensor. I still checked the level straight away though and it was fine.

I haven't had the need to use it again, but i will get some oil and top it up. So many opinions on oil but because it doesn't have a dpf it should be easier.
The guy from the Nissan roadside assistance said use 0W-40 i said but the manual is different to that it starts with a 5W. He told me not to worry about that it's just Nissan wanting you to use their oil??? Umm, i think i'll use the recommended thanks.

I was very surprised at his attitude towards Nissan.

Latest posts

Back