Bilstein HD comments?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToyTruck

Reaction score
Anyone running Bilstein HD shocks on the stock suspension? How's the comfort on those things compared to stock when unladen? On and offroad? When going slow or at speed? Inputs greatly appreciated.

I run the Bilstein 5125 shocks in the rear of mine and they certainly keep the rear where it should be without bucking when unladen.
No you wont find anything saying 5125's fit in a Navara.
Like all my suspension they came from PRG in the US.
Greg from PRG mods the mounts to suit the truck

I've used Bilsteins for the last 20 years, I'm a big fan of them especially after seeing their performance on a dyno. Although not self adjustable, if you buy from a local dealer, you should be able to have them valved/perform any way you want.

@Leprechaun
Problem with the local distributor (I'm in the Philippines) is they just bring the shocks in from the US with the standard valving. Don't think they know how to re valve them. :sad: How's the ride quality on slow speeds?

@Aussie
PRG stuff are nice, know someone who changed all his springs but used Ranchos on them and the ride was real plush. PRG gear here costs a fortune though, way out of my budget. From what I've read so far a good combo with Bilsteins would be softer springs. Don't have the money for that though, I'd like to change just the shocks if possible.

I really like throwing the truck fast into the corners maybe that's why the shocks got busted early lol. But I sort of have an upper back problem. I've heard good things about Bilstein handling but I'm constantly wondering if my back can take it. Thanks for the replies guys.

Ok, yes the Bilsteins may not be suited to your roads, they are ideal for fast corrugated dirt tracks.

I would recommend a set of Rancho's with in cab adjustment, would be perfect for you.

When I can finally afford them I will be going with the 10 leaf race pack from PRG.Or possibly go with a ladder bar rear with yet again coilovers
Having the radflos in front makes it a good ride thats for sure. I have got 500lb springs so the front will ride high but is softer through bumps etc. It will dive under heavy braking but thats what I wanted.
The biggest issue is what feels good to me may not feel good to you. Its really a personal preferances deal.

Hey guys, guess what, I still got the Bilsteins HD (hardheaded me) the dealer offered me a week long trial period so I went for it.

Was expecting a really harsh ride but to my surprise, I like them!

It floats over small bumps and dips, handling, takeoff and braking are much improved. A bit stiff on the deep potholes and taller undulations but we really should slow down on those things anyway. A bit stiff on bigger cement undulations but not harsh. Hard to describe but the faster you go, the smoother the ride seems. The rep told me it'll take a couple weeks to settle and give its "real" performance but so far so good. The valving on the German made Bilsteins seem to suit the D40 well. :rock:

I have said it before. Bilstiens are awesome.

My Nav is stable at over fine worthy speeds. Rate them very highly.

Because they always return to fully extended due to the high pressure nitrogen, they can be a bit fiddly to fit. I Use a jack to lift the body up to align the bolt holes.

I agree you should take the day off to go and do skids in the forest!

I had a set on my D22 and I found them still underdone. If I had not sold it I would have taken it back to Quadrant for a revalve. Probably a matter of changing the main shim in the stack to one with less bypass holes to increase low speed damping without making much difference to pothole strikes and so on.

Any excuse to have a day off mate. Spend a few hours in the morning installing them, then rest of the day testing them up the bush, sounds much better then work to me..lol

Because they always return to fully extended due to the high pressure nitrogen, they can be a bit fiddly to fit. I Use a jack to lift the body up to align the bolt holes.

I agree you should take the day off to go and do skids in the forest!

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure i do both things..haha

Installed the Bilstein's this afternoon. Compared to the standard shocks with 80,000 K's on them, the Bilstein's feel like a dream. The standard ones were well and truly shot.

Im happy with the ride and looking forward to giving them a go up the bush. So far, very pleased though. And its nice to know i didn't have to alter the control arm in anyway.

Good now that my head doesn't almost go through the roof when hitting a small bump!

Pete

Hey guys,

I recently bought a 2011 Navara D40, and I'm thinking about replacing the factory shocks with Bilsteins. But which type is most recommended with factory springs? B4? B6? Or still another type? I read the B6 is similar to the HD? I can't find any decent information on this and my local dealer does not have any experience with this type of car. So I hope you guys can help me decide which shocks to buy.

FYI: 95% of the time I'm using the Navara on highway or "normal" roads, so I want to replace the factory shocks with a type that is most comfortable for this purpose.

Thanks in advance!

I was thinking of going the 5100 series. Was advised by national susupension joint. That the 5100's are to soft. I know one bloke with a D40 with the B6's thought said his ride was on the harsh side. Anyway ended up going B6's and with medium springs as i don't carry alot of wieght and it rides like a limo and still keeps it's composure off road. So pretty happy with the outcome.

It seems there are two types of the B6: B6 and B6 offroad. Which of those are you using now?

Ok just checked, turns out there not the B6. opps,

Front- BE5-D626 with raised King Springs.

Rear- B46-0258D40 with EFS raised rear springs, 150Kg. constant load.

Latest posts

Back