Painted/Coated D22 Alloy Rims?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corporation

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on different/best processes on painting/coating my stock D22 rims to black and how i would go about it.

Cheers

Last edited:
paint or powder coat thinking about this myself, Got the spare set thinking about muddies and paint imo they look good black there was a photo on here a couple of days ago

you'll have trouble keeping them chip free...... paint will be easier to touch up

wet - dry sand paper
primer
paint

but its not easy getting a clean finish on the alloy. I looked into it a few years back. Didn't get a lot of clear info on how to do it. I eventually went for black steelies instead. If you do finish yours, please post up what you did and some pics so others can see em

have fun

Lj

You wont need to prime them, just give them a good rub with some 400-600 wet and dry paper, and use a bit of scotchbrite to get into the hard to reach places.

Powder coating would be a better option, alot more chip resistant, but alot more expensive.

Make sure you use a decent 2 pack paint though, dont just use shitty spray cans or anything.

If theres anything else you want to know, just ask.

There was a bloke from the UK that posted this recently. I think he was a panel basher by trade? he had done his and they looked great!

Been thinking of doing this for months.2 of my rims are a bit scratched up so I feel I have nothing to lose. Would you paint them with tyres on or off?
Im thinking tyre fitting machine would scratch em up and might be better with tyres on.

Been thinking of doing this for months.2 of my rims are a bit scratched up so I feel I have nothing to lose. Would you paint them with tyres on or off?
Im thinking tyre fitting machine would scratch em up and might be better with tyres on.

Better off getting the tyres pulled off if ya can, otherwise just tuck the tape in under the lip of the rim.

The tyre fitting machine wont scratch the rim if they know what they are doing, they wouldnt be scratching up all the new mags they fit tyres to.

Got a price today for my d40 alloys to be black powder coated.
30$ a rim.Getting them done next tyre change.

How r ya navar ian.
I asked about this for my D22 at a powdercoater in baysy n he said yep about same price but have to get them sandblasted or something first to remove the protectant or whatever it is. Not sure if yours are different or if you can do as mentioned above and just rub them back yourself.
Let us know his you go!
Marcus

I'm good thanks Marcus,yourself?
They said 30$ a rim done and dusted in Dandy,be maybe a month or so when i get them done but i'll post up the results.
Cheers.

I'm not sure !!

Attachments

• IMGP0780[1].jpg
    IMGP0780[1].jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 269

Latest posts

Back