Free play in rear

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R31_IceMan

Reaction score
Gents,

I'm calling on the wealth of experience here before I start the long pull apart process to find the answer.

My problem is everynow and then when I take off once moving and just as I go from slipping clutch to disengaged clutch I get a clunk of free play in the rear. Even noticeable my girlfriend can feel it whilst in the passenger seat.

I also believe this is related to a problem that I noticed from leaving a raised driveway where when I exited around 45deg it unloaded the rear left and when it hits the ground it would make an audible clunk and vibration

Has anyone got ideas or experienced this? Next step is wheels off, new diff oil and check for free play in all rear suspension links i don't suspect unis because the vehicle is already moving when it happens n

Help please guys

Last edited:
thanks Dave already check them and they are all good.

I got the car up today and it seems like the leaf retaining brackets / clips on the front and back of the leafs (not the u-bolts to the diff) are grabbing all the springs and not letting them freely move up and or down. I've organised for the vehicle to go to climax suspension around the corner because they are a Ironman reseller and close to work.

I noticed that Ironman now quote that: "Now incorporating plastic clip liners for smooth quiet operation."

I'm hoping that what is happening it the leafs are sitting with the clips loaded towards the front and then driving off the left moves freely but the right is holding until their is enough force to move the spring back.
So my thinking is that because it only happen after the vehicle stopped with more load on the front the springs were more collapsed on the front of the rear then when ever i tool off the left with equalise placing the diff on an angle with the left further back than the right then once enough force was applied from LSD, steer wheels and actual drive the right was sent back with a sudden jolt.

This is all theory and i could be 10000000000000000% wrong but i hope it's that simple.

Latest posts

Back