Mud tyres...would you get them again?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt76

Reaction score
Hi all,

Tyre question number 46536. :sarcastic:

Who is running muds (or any other type for that matter) and would you replace them with same when it comes time? Are you sick of the noise? dont use them offroad enough to justify? Happy with them purely because they look great? run them because you are offroad all the time?

I run BFG All Terrains and am really surprised with their excellent behaviour on road, so much to the extent that I often wonder how well behaved mud terrains would be.

The BFG Mud terrains dont look to be any more aggressive than the Mickey T 4 rib all terrains, so both of them fall into the same category really.

I welcome your thoughts....

I've had different types of MT on different vehicles - currently have Mickey MTZ and I willl be getting them again - I love their work and self cleaning ability.

My Nav is not my daily to work car so I'm good with having muddies on all the time. However I have kept the stock rims and tyres as a second set and willbe using them on long blacktop trips if I take the Nav.

I wont be buying Cooper STT's anymore, over priced wastes of money! I have had nothing but trouble with trying to get wheel allignments ever since I put a set on. I'll probably go the Mickey Baja Claws

I have insa turbo specail track's and for the money would do it all over again!! I use them as a second set and put them on for going bush

I wont be buying Cooper STT's anymore, over priced wastes of money! I have had nothing but trouble with trying to get wheel allignments ever since I put a set on. I'll probably go the Mickey Baja Claws

I had that same issue when I had them fitted to my Triton - the retailer said I was not the first customer to have the issue.

iv got the the maxxis bighorns as my only set of tyres as i dont daily drive my nav, but the noise doesnt annoy me that much anyway. once these wear out though ill be getting a set of 265/75 all terrains for the longer trips i do and by then ill have a set of silverstone extremes 33x10.5-16 for offroading

I have had 2 sets of Cooper ST's. pretty good tyre.

Dunno what Ill get next time.

The Coopers hang on well.

My left front tyre kept flogging out.

My wheel alignment specs are in the D22 tyre section.

It steers straight with those settings, the left front wears as even as the rest of the tyres to.

Hi I'm running Bridgestones 694 AT's, really good tyre, seem to be wearing well (5K) excellent manners or gravel road and minimal noise on black top. Fair bit cheaper than BFG's AT's horses for courses tho.

I think your thread is going off track, everyone is telling you how good their A/T's are.

A lot depends on where you live, for most of the VNOG guy's in Melbourne a Mud terrain is almost mandatory, I doubt that would be the same for the guy's in Perth or Adelaide. Most of us (VNOG) don't drive their trucks everyday so wear/noise/cost isn't so much a problem.

I have Micky T ATZ 5 Rib 30" and Insa Turbo Sahara 32" and I was changing them over all the time till about November and since then I have been just driving arround on the 32"s, it sucks the power out of the nav a bit but you get used to it after a while. I try to get out the bush at least once every 2 weeks even just for a hour or so. I would definitely go Muds again, maybe even a 33" if I can ever afford a power chip to off set the bigger tires power loss.

I think your thread is going off track, everyone is telling you how good their A/T's are.

A lot depends on where you live, for most of the VNOG guy's in Melbourne a Mud terrain is almost mandatory, I doubt that would be the same for the guy's in Perth or Adelaide. Most of us (VNOG) don't drive their trucks everyday so wear/noise/cost isn't so much a problem.

Thats alright mate, I'm happy to hear everyones thoughts on what they like. In all reality a highway terrain would suit me 95% of the time, but I do want my vehicle to be somewhat competent offroad and am pondering whether an all terrain or mud next. I am a bit suprised no one has said 'no way I hate them, too bloody noisy, too slippery in the wet etc' I guess all tyres are pretty good these days, although I have heard that muddies get much noisier and less well behaved as they get older. It was on the internet too so must be true haha.

well ill tell ya straight up iv got allot more frip in the wet on the road with my muddies than the standard dunlops the d40's come with. and the noise isnt really that bad. just turn up your radio

I've got Kelly Safari TSR's which are a reasonably aggressive mud tyre. I've had them on for 12 months (done about 10,000k's on them).
- They wear really well
- They are not noisy (people don't believe me when I tell them that)
- They work great in mud
- They hang on well in the wet - I used to have BFG's and the car was plain dangerous in the wet - in fact I would not let my wife drive it. These are 100 times better and the car feels (reasonably) stable.

I absolutely LOVE these tyres and would recommend them without hesitation (and I have nothing to do with selling tyres) - in fact we are doing a simpson crossing in 6 weeks time and I'm trying to get 2 more as spares but they do not seem to be available any more :(

So if anyone knows where to get some please let me know. 265 75 16 Kelly Safari TSR.

I was going to go the Micky T MTZ but the size's didn't match my rime size for some reason, so I was sold the STZ (some sort of more aggressive ATZ). I would have gone the muddies because my brother has them on his hi-lux, but I'm happy with the M/T ATZ.

Hi I'm running Bridgestones 694 AT's, really good tyre,

Those Bridgies have quite a chunky tread for an A/T tyre. Without going to an all out mud tread, they look to be near enough on the money. The Pirelli Scorpions I have even though listed as an A/T, have very small blocks and would be better classed as a H/T if you ask me.

But when these are worn, I'll probably go a chunky A/T like the Bridgestone rather than an all out muddie, (But those MTZs sure do look nice, :rock:)

borrowed a friend's yd25 d22 earlier. i love them MT tyres. they take me home from muddie and made me go sideways on tarmac...

Latest posts

Back