ZD30 standard dyno results

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big orse

Reaction score
What sort of rear wheel kw should a standard 3l TD Nav put out? My mate just had his dynoed and the only mods he had was cat removed and snorkel. 64rwkw was where he was at? Does this seem low as they are claimed to be 110kw motor?

I know my Nav with chip, gas and 2.5' exhaust was putting out 90 rwkw. Never had it tested standard so can't advise him.

If you have had your 3l TD dynoed, list the mods and rwkw.

So really the only way for an accurate comparison would be on the same dyno. Too many varying factors otherwise.

Yeah. To get the flywheel power of the engine (as quoted in the brochure) you need to follow some complex calculation back from the rwkw but I don't know what it is and it's different for every dyno.

Dynos are power biased, so the torquey diesel you put on a dyno is going to get dismal power results.

I was told a story once about a monster truck with a huge engine they put on a dyno (who knows how they fit it on) that made something stupid like 15rwkw, whereas your typical Rex that does its dyno run in 4th gear can "make" 3,000,000 rwkw. With your Nav and your buddy's Nav, you'd be better off testing with a stopwatch and a quiet road, but as for actual power figures, good luck.

After hanging around and owning performance veihcles forever (until now)this is what i have learnt about dyno figures.
1- Dyno's are temperemental.
2- Ambient temperatures play a big factor
3- Different dyno's ALWAYS give different results, calibrated or not.
4- Rear wheel figures are approx 2 thirds of the overall fly wheel figure (as rule of thumb)
5- Rear wheel horse power figure is approx fly wheel KW

My last ss ute had 290rwkw when finally tuned after some engine work, i went to a dyno day 3 days later and won my class with 319rwkw.

Moral to this story, dyno's are just a guide, dont get to hung up on the results.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's info. Tommy allowing for dyno variations etc, those diesel tec standard figures will make my mate feel better. I think he was worried he bought a pos.

As gavatron said in his point 5. Rear wheel horse power figure is approx fly wheel KW.
So for the ZD30 Nav you should be pulling around the 110hp at the wheels, if you are not within about 10-15hp of that either your Nav has a problem, the dyno is uncalibrated or being incorrectly operated.

mate just had his dynoed and the only mods he had was cat removed and snorkel. 64rwkw was where he was at?
Was the boost mapped on the dyno run?
What brand dyno was it?
What size tyres also as that can zap a fair bit

Last edited:
one thing to remember each dyno is different.
you can put 2 dyno's right beside each other and get different horse power on each of them.

As gavatron said in his point 5. Rear wheel horse power figure is approx fly wheel KW.
So for the ZD30 Nav you should be pulling around the 110hp at the wheels, if you are not within about 10-15hp of that either your Nav has a problem, the dyno is uncalibrated or being incorrectly operated.

Was the boost mapped on the dyno run?
What brand dyno was it?
What size tyres also as that can zap a fair bit

boost wasn't mapped. The AFR was. Test was done in 4th gear.
Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer
Tyres were 245/75/16

Latest posts

Back