Rockhampton to Darwin

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
Hi All
I hoping to do a round trip from Rockhampton to Darwin in June towing a 17.6" caravan for about 3-4 weeks will have 2 little ones with us a 2 & 4yr old what would be the best overnight stops (caravan parks) if working of around 400 - 500km a day and any place that I should be wary of bad fuel (diesel) ect... any tips best places to look at?
Thanks Lyle

No leaving till 17th. Daughter has her formal :dancing:

Then she will spend the whole time in the back eyes closed listening to her ipod, and texting:suicide2: (while we have coverage that is)

over night stops

We travelled that road last year a lot of great spots to camp Barcalden Show grounds is a nice clean spot about $20 for the night with hot showers etc .We free camped in the old Mary Kathline town ship but no facilities ,then Banka Banka station just around corner from the Three ways's (worth the drive to Tennant Creek for fuel a lot cheaper then 3 ways only about 20 km down from corner )Daly waters is worth a look facilities are average but atmosphere is great.Mataranka (can't remember park name but the one with barra fishing/viewing )
In Darwin stayed at hidden valley

Hope this helps
Chris

Seeing as you are towing a van, go and get yourself the camps 6 travel book, has all the free camps around aus and maps, great way to find places to stat when doing a trip like yours!!

cheers
bryan

Bout i mounth ago i drove from darwin to gladston. Darwin to 3ways not a bad spot to stay then from there to kyena ( i think thats how its spelt ) at the blue healer bar, caravan park at the back but DO NOT stay there on a friday nite or satday nite the pub gose of all nite emarlled is a good spot to we useds a camps 5 box very very good but the 6 box should be even better. hope this helps

We travelled that road last year a lot of great spots to camp Barcalden Show grounds is a nice clean spot about $20 for the night with hot showers etc .We free camped in the old Mary Kathline town ship but no facilities ,then Banka Banka station just around corner from the Three ways's (worth the drive to Tennant Creek for fuel a lot cheaper then 3 ways only about 20 km down from corner )Daly waters is worth a look facilities are average but atmosphere is great.Mataranka (can't remember park name but the one with barra fishing/viewing )
In Darwin stayed at hidden valley

Hope this helps
Chris

Thanks Chris
I don't have a intinery apart from just hook up the van and go,
what I was looking at and I am making this up as I go as I have not towed the van with the new 550 yet so I have not worked out fuel range but I will probably work on a safe margin of 400km

1st night at Barcaldine
2nd night Winton
3rd night Mnt Isa
4th night Barky roadhouse or Three ways ?
5th night some were between Three ways & Katherine ?
Katherine for a day or 2
day 7or 8 to Darwin vehicle will need 1st 10000km service by then. spend about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks based in or around Darwin at a nice caravan park ? and look around from there then head back home but go through charters Towers to Townsville down the coast & maybe a day or 2 at the big 4 Arlie beach
hunter

G'day All
I have been along that Matilda Hwy a few of times. Just west of Barkie there is a little town called Ilfricombe. There is a camping ground just off to the south behind the "Welshot Hotel". Ilfricombe is a great little town. Go in and see Joe at the Welshot. She does a good feed there. If your are tired of the swag or van she has some "quarters" style rooms out the back. I've used these on a couple of trips, very comfy.
A couple of other places I've been are Barkly Homestead and Cape Crawford in the NT.
Barkly is a comfy camp with a pool, bar, restaurant etc. Crawford has a similar setup but not as flash.
If you go onto "the Barkly" tableland. Watch out for the road trains on the single lane road. Keep an ear on the 2way. It is worth the effort to have a look out there.
Have a great trip, your heading into one of the great bits of this island.

I've read this thread three times till I realised that is one very short van you are towing there.

Sigh, I'll probably now do something similar.

Yer well thats about the size of mine to !!

It's a Golf wind up Off Road Beds pull out both ends Sleeps 6 easy !
And Tows a treat. Hardly know its there !

Yer well thats about the size of mine to !!

It's a Golf wind up Off Road Beds pull out both ends Sleeps 6 easy !
And Tows a treat. Hardly know its there !

Steve do you use a generator if you stay in free camps? Iam looking at buying a 120w folding solar panel (eBay job) rather than take the genny. although don't how much free camping we will do
Cheers Lyle

No Lyle Don't use a Generator at free sites simply cause I don't have one !
And well I intend to do a bit of free camping (Don't think the Daughter will be happy):sad:
And the Minister for finance will more than likley have her say ! :rant:
with the deep cycle battery in the van it has L.E.D. lighting and Gas fridge and stove I cant see a problem over night.

Thanks Chris
I don't have a intinery apart from just hook up the van and go,
what I was looking at and I am making this up as I go as I have not towed the van with the new 550 yet so I have not worked out fuel range but I will probably work on a safe margin of 400km

1st night at Barcaldine
2nd night Winton
3rd night Mnt Isa
4th night Barky roadhouse or Three ways ?
5th night some were between Three ways & Katherine ?
Katherine for a day or 2
day 7or 8 to Darwin vehicle will need 1st 10000km service by then. spend about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks based in or around Darwin at a nice caravan park ? and look around from there then head back home but go through charters Towers to Townsville down the coast & maybe a day or 2 at the big 4 Arlie beach
hunter

We did much the same trip in 2007. I can reccomend the North Gregory Hotel in Winton. At the back they have a free camp if you have a Caravan or Camper trailer. In return they expect that you have a meal at the pub and they provide hot showers and toilets. Probably one of the best free camps we had.

Regards

Greg

We did much the same trip in 2007. I can reccomend the North Gregory Hotel in Winton. At the back they have a free camp if you have a Caravan or Camper trailer. In return they expect that you have a meal at the pub and they provide hot showers and toilets. Probably one of the best free camps we had.

Regards

Greg

Greg ,Sounds good looks like that will a stop over thanks
Cheers Lyle

free camps

Hunter we free camp as much as possible and always use generator just lock it up when you are finished never know who is around .Free camping we try not to camp on own just for safety and just have a chat to people at site before you set up if you are not sure about them move on .Back packers are great to camp around as they have some great stories and they go to place that you don't find on a map so so good info .North gregory is a great pub to camp behind and while in winton go for a drive out to the Dinasour centre (can't think of name it's about 100km from town but well worth the drive)
If you turn at Barkley homestead and travel to Cape Crwford (about 4hrs i think ) we fre camped about another 100km towards Daly Waters (number 16or 17 in Camps 4 book )I would go up to darwin via Cape Carwford and home by the 3 way's see as much country as you can .As per R Trains Just get off the road and stop let them stay on the black stuff saves the windscreen and the dust
Chris

Hi Hunter,

If you're going to get your 10 000k service done in Darwin i wouldn't recommend Kerry's Nissan, and i don't think anyone else in Darwin would. I can't recommend anyone as i just do my own services these days so it might pay to do some research before you get here.

Daly Waters pub between Three Ways and Katherine is a nice spot.

Hi Hunter,

If you're going to get your 10 000k service done in Darwin i wouldn't recommend Kerry's Nissan, and i don't think anyone else in Darwin would. I can't recommend anyone as i just do my own services these days so it might pay to do some research before you get here.

Daly Waters pub between Three Ways and Katherine is a nice spot.

Thanks mate, yeh I had it booked in when I got there what seems to be the problem with them ? I will have to do a bit more searching maybe ultra tune, anyone got recommendation for Darwin?
Cheers hunter

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back