winch on a alloy bar???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj342

Reaction score
is it possible to fix a winch to the navara standard alloy bar? has anyone done it before? tips will be muchly appreciated.

There's no way you would want to rely on the winch if it were only secured to the alloy bar.

However, you can brace up behind the alloy bar and bolt the winch to that. 6mm steel plate is the recommended minimum support for a winch.

Don't forget that the winch will not only pull the weight of your vehicle, but it will pull that weight out of whatever you've gotten stuck in, so the strain is quite considerable.

Alloy on its own just doesn't cut the mustard. I'm sure I've seen someone with an alloy bar and a winch - they had built the framework up themselves, if I recall correctly. Not sure if it's something available in a store.

yeh thats wat i was thinking easier to replace with an arb or tjm than dealing with the issues down the track

yeh thats wat i was thinking easier to replace with an arb or tjm than dealing with the issues down the track

Yup, wise move. UNLESS you have access to someone with a bit of knowledge and can custom fabricate your own mounting bracket to go in behind the alloy bar for the Winch. Would end up a lot cheaper for you than replacing the Nissan bar.

But, then again - by getting an aftermarket steel bar you will also have full frontal protection if your going off-road (trees, roos etc) and real piece of mind if something does happen.

I suggest that if you're considering a steel bar with winch that you measure the current height on level ground (to the top of the wheel arch). The steel bar and winch combination will compress the suspension, requiring heavier springs to return the vehicle to its normal ride height.

i agree with all that tony said. i have seen a guy with an ally bar on a d22 that had fitted a winch in a cradle that bolted up to the chassis then he cut out the lower grill section of the standard ally bar so the fairlead and cable would clear without snagging or damaging the bar, it looked good he had tucked it all in quite nicely even hiding the control box and according to the owner it worked well with no probs.
good luck with it.

Back