2006 STR-3.0Di Speakers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

307R8

Reaction score
Hi all, my first post.......and firstly apologies.....have searched but not found exact answer I was looking for.

I recently bought a second hand Navara Dual Cab.....and love it!

I am wanting to change over the speakers....left front is knackered and just one doesn't cut it! And I found out that the rears do not exist!!!

So was wanting to know what sizes I could get for the front and for the rear, and install by myself? I want it to be reasonably easy though. I thought I'd upgrade the speakers first, but also allow for an upgrade to the head unit down the track.

So.....my 3 questions....
1. My understanding is that the front is 6.5".... Is this right?
What size for the rears?

2. Any tricks in running separate speaker cables to each of the rears?....will the existing head unit allow for separate left and right rear or do I need another connection?

3. taking the inside door panels off....any tricks...I had a look and reckon I'm ok with getting along the bottom and front side bits undone but wasn't sure if you have to lift it up or something.....was worried about the power window mechanism etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Hey mate. Welcome.

Fronts are 6.5", that's what i installed. Rears from what i have read are 6" but you can fit 6.5" speakers if you use spacers i believe, but don't quote me on that as i didn't bother installing the rears.

Not sure about adding rear speakers into the standard headunit. Wouldnt bother myself, best off getting a new headunit. Think it would be possible though, someone else will know that one.

Taking the door panels of is easy if you know where the clips etc are. Best off downloading the D22 manual from here. Its all PDF format and will show you how to take off the panels without breaking shit.

Pete

Thanks heaps Pete for your advice.

Will start out with just the front ones, and see how I go. May be worth putting off the rears until I get the head unit? Not sure.

Cheers for the link too

Dave

Noworries mate. I reckon there is a few threads on here somewhere discussing using the standard headunit and using rear speakers with it, so have a look around.

Also with the manual, 1997 is the full manual showing everything, then as you goes through the years they are just revisions added to the 1997 model, so the revisions don't show all the info, just what changed in that years model. Took me a little bit to work it out at first.

Pete

Noworries mate. I reckon there is a few threads on here somewhere discussing using the standard headunit and using rear speakers with it, so have a look around.

Also with the manual, 1997 is the full manual showing everything, then as you goes through the years they are just revisions added to the 1997 model, so the revisions don't show all the info, just what changed in that years model. Took me a little bit to work it out at first.

Pete

Have downloaded the manual. Thanks Pete. Have also got some speakers now. Just some basic ones really. Pioneer 3 Way 6.5" 300W Max TS-A1674S. Hope they fit! Will try and give it a go later today when I've got some time....manual looks slightly confusing to the un-initiated though....have got all the bottom lugs/clips/screws out before but got stuck....so put it all back together....

Hopefully next time is a better end result.....

Cheers

Dave

Have downloaded the manual. Thanks Pete. Have also got some speakers now. Just some basic ones really. Pioneer 3 Way 6.5" 300W Max TS-A1674S. Hope they fit! Will try and give it a go later today when I've got some time....manual looks slightly confusing to the un-initiated though....have got all the bottom lugs/clips/screws out before but got stuck....so put it all back together....

Hopefully next time is a better end result.....

Cheers

Dave

Noworries mate.

With removing the door trims, you have to remove the silver power window control cover (one with the switch in it) and the plastic cover at the other end on the arm rest. Also the little plastic trim that goes around the door handle and plastic insert in the arm rest for your fingers when opening and closing the door. Its all in the manual so have a good look and you'll find that section that shows it, will show what you need to do.

Good luck.

Pete

Thanks

Thanks again fellas.

All done and stoked with the result. Never Driven my Navara with 2 working speakers Lol. Was a piece of piss in the end .... Amazing how easy things are with decent instructions and a few friendly tips ;-)

Now to decide on the rears and how to wire them up.....oh.....and a head unit too!

Cheers

Dave

Hey Dave, I'm about to do this. Is it easy to wire up the new ones? Think someone said you cut the plug off the old speaker then don't have to worry about cutting factory wiring?
With your rears, can't confirm this but I've heard a rumor some of them may already have the wiring to the rear which may be a nice surprise for ya! Do a search for more info on that if you like.
Cheers

Hey Dave, I'm about to do this. Is it easy to wire up the new ones? Think someone said you cut the plug off the old speaker then don't have to worry about cutting factory wiring?
With your rears, can't confirm this but I've heard a rumor some of them may already have the wiring to the rear which may be a nice surprise for ya! Do a search for more info on that if you like.
Cheers

My old speakers had the plug all glued in there so couldn't do that. The speaks came with some wire....open one end and female blade terminals on the other. I just cut a small length of the off and then put some male bullet connectors on that wire and hooked that small bit of wiring to the speakers. The wire with the small line in it I matched up with the line in the wire that was supplied with the speakers...that way I didn't have to worry about +VE and -VE as the speaker wire with the line in it had a smaller female blade. Then I cut the factory plug off, and put female bullet connectors on the factory wire....easy as. Only thing is I couldn't put the outer surround on the speaker.....as I don't think it would've fitted (and I couldn't work out how to have the metal plugs in the speaker.....)

Have just taken rear door panel off (all of 2 mins) and yep, I think there is some sort of wiring in there..... Woo Hoo!!! Only problem is that I'm not sure if it'll be a straight fir like the fronts....not sure what to do there?

Anyone that's done the rears....advice is welcome!!!

Dave

Cheers mate, yeah do a search for the rears, I'm sure you'll find info in here, I've read a bit on
it somewhere.

Not Happy Jan.

Speakers don't work in the rear.....perhaps the speaker cable isn't actually speaker cable? Or perhaps it's not wired into the head unit!

Also, spacers I bought are too big and rest against the back seat when the door is closed!

Oh well.....will work something out!

Well technically speaker cable isn't speaker cable either it's just the same as any other piece of wire so I'd be checking the other end of it and making sure it was connected before I was too worried about the wire.

If you have continuity tester on your multimeter you could remove the head unit and find the speakers plug and put one lead each end and test for continuity that would atleast tell you if the wire in the door is connected to the speaker plug at the head unit. (resistance with a multimeter does the same thing but continuity is usually a beep which means you don't have to be looking at the meter).

hello all, just a quick question but what are people using for speakers in the rear doors and what spacers also? not too keen on putting speakers in front of the factory grill like some people have, what to keep it looking stock as much as i can for now, also not too worried about speaker cable as i'm already running an amp, thanks guys! :cheers!:

I have 6,5s in rear, made mounting spacer from mdf, fits snug behind grille, front 6.5 fit fine on standard mounting.

Well......sorry for the delay in providing an update!

Bought some spacers for the rear door panels but wasn't happy, so removed them again! Ended up fitting Pioneer TS-A1674S into both rear doors where the ashtray goes. Nice and snug but still with room when backed up against the panel. Wired them up to the speaker wires that were inside the door panel.

Also fitted up a new head unit....Pioneer DEH-3100UB! Nice unit I gotta say. Now rear speakers were wired up, had to try and find the end of the wiring, as existing head unit did not have rear speaker wires! After a shitload of chewing wires, I found out that the rear speaker wires only went as far as the B pillar....WTF?

Anyway, had to re-wire the whole lot, nice and neat with zip ties, shrink wrap, plugs, pioneer and Nissan aeropro looms and everything. Had the dash out under the drivers side, centre console, glove box, door panels, pillar panels etc etc....Major PITA. Only remaining thing to do is to trim the head unit surround so it fits nicely under the centre surround of the console! Easy after what I've just been through!

BUT

Very satisfying result in the end...really happy with how everything turned out!

Now to start saving for my next addition....UHF radio set up OR Lightforce Spotties :)

Thanks for all your help fellas and hope this thread can at least give someone the heads up on what fits and what to do when they're thinking of doing the same thing.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back