are they really illegal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sem

Reaction score
looking for new tires and understand that you can't put anything that is more than 15mm bigger than the stock 265 70 16 on the D22 but some web sights say that the 265 75 16 are only 13.5 bigger. what does illegal mean will it void insurance if i get in a accident

Actually at this point in time, this rule is a country wide one. The rule being that you can't fit a tire that is more than 30mm in overall diameter bigger than what is indicated on your tire placard for the vehicle. I have done the math on this one, and I can't remember the exact figures, but 265/75's are larger than this. On the d22, with a stock tire size of 265/70, the largest tire you can go is 275/70, which is 14mm bigger in radius (28mm bigger in overall diameter)

And it's my opinion that any transport officer or insurance company worth their weight, knows this rule - it's the easiest way to snag some revenue or deny a claim.

That being said plenty of guys here run the bigger tire without dramas, and I even have a set of 265/75/16's for going out and playing in. (got some stockies for general use)

I reckon you would have to be a !@#$%^& to a cop, to get pinged for it.

If your nice to them, they wont ping you usually. Unless your in QLD.

Actually Joshman the NCOP is 50mm for 4x4 vehicles and 15mm on passenger cars
from the NCOP

The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to a passenger car or passenger car derivative must not
be more than 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle
manufacturer for that model.
The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to:
 4WD passenger vehicles specifically designed for off-road use (typically MC ADR
category). All wheel drive (AWD) vehicles including those AWD vehicles that may be
certified as MC ADR category, (also commonly known as soft roaders) are not
included in this category;
 4WD goods vehicles and their 2WD equivalents if the chassis and running gear are
essentially the same as the 4WD version (N ADR category); or
 any medium weight goods vehicle (NA2, NB ADR category).
Must not be more than 50mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the
vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle.

However
I have heard that in NSW they are applying the passenger car rule to all vehicles .

I spoke with a vehicle examiner not long ago about this, he said in W.A. up to a 50mm lift was acceptable (consisting of tyres and suspension, suspension only or tyres only) meaning in W.A. 265/75R16s are legal. Anything more than the 50mm requires a lane change test before being recognised as road worthy.

A Aussie Frontier said, you really need to check with your state regs.

+1 tanz and joshman for Qld regs.

but the po pos have checked my car at least three times and nothing said about my tyres. Even had a 5 minute chat with a cop when he got me for speeding one day specifically about the tyres.... all good. 265/75s really look pretty standard. Main things cops look for is if they're sticking out of the wheel arches, which they won't on +40 or +20 offset.

If you got done, you'd be frickin unlucky.

That size gives an increase in the diameter by 26mm, Qld Trans only allow +15mm (or -26mm).

Information sourced from the 1010tires website comparison calculator, and the Qld Trans modifications brochure page 18.

On page 17 of this it says the following:

"The following sub-sections outline the legal requirements
for replacement rims and tyres fitted to a passenger car
or derivative, or an off-road passenger car (but not light
commercial), which will ensure your vehicle continues to
comply with Queensland legislation while allowing for
your individual preferences."

D22 to my knowledge are classed as Light Commercial (hence with utes you can get them cheapper with a ABN for example) and would mean this does not apply to us. The question I have if this is the case what are you allowed with a light commercial?

I found another QLD form here: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/a...tallation_tyres_rims_light_goods_vehicles.pdf

Again it does not mention this.

I found this quoted from a user of another forum from back in 2005:

"Had an interesting coversation with Qld Transport Vehicle Modifications section today. This is what they have told me straight out of the Transport Operations section of the Qld Legislation.

Few interesting points.

1. ADR24 that was retired on the 1st of Jan covers tyre and rim selection. By retiring this ADR the states are now responsible for defining their own rules. In the case of Qld they have stuck with the specifications of no more than 15mm increase or 26mm decrease. HOWEVER! this only covers vehicles classed as NA NB and NC (qld transport classifications). These cover your typical sedans and 4wd Wagons. This does not cover light commercial's which includes Hilux's, Navara's etc. So the advice from Qld Transport is that as no modification from the vehicle manufacturers specification is specified by either commonwealth or state law it is not allowed.

2. There is no provision for an engineers certificate to cover tyre or rim modifications in Qld. Vehicle Engineers work under a "Code of Practice" which covers 13 topics such as engine swap, supercharge, extra axle etc. So when you transfer registration from interstate to Qld any modification plates you have for tyres will not be accepted.

So where does it leave us? No idea. There doesnt seem to be any logic as to why tyre and rim selection does not cover light commercials. Especially when Qld Transport publish a modifications guide for vehicles under 4.5 T Guideline, yet as it says on the front page of the document this is not legally binding, and its not until you dig into the law that you discover which vehicle classes under 4.5T are not covered.

So if any retired members with some time on their hands would like to canvas their local MP with a view to pushing to have light commercials included in the law, im sure there would be a few Qld ute drivers who would buy you a beer or six."

So after reading this it seems that QLD Transport are smoking the funny stuff and have no idea regarding Light Commercial.

I wonder if this is where the NCOP would come into affect?

Also regarding Victoria Cooper tyres have info on their website regarding the rule change there and they are now using the NCOP and it is 50mm as Aussie Frontier reported.

I really want to get the 265/75/16 and I already know RACQ (who I am insured with) say that as long as it is considered legal with QLD Transport they will cover you. Thing is I am not sure and they seem that they do not know either. I will not take risks as I have been to RACQ and seen them asess cars and I know they check tyres quite extensively with things such as tred depth to ensure it is all above board. Who does not want their $30,000.00 truck pay out not to be paid in a accident just because your tyres are deemed not correct. :suicide2:

In saying all that I really want the 265/75/16 tyre size. :(

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to share my research for others here and to get some feed back to see what we can or can't do.

Back