OK, let's talk tyre pressures......

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Reaction score
Most of us know there is no hard and fast rules for tyre pressures except maybe the 4 psi rule for bitumen. What works for one person probably wont apply to the next as not two vehicles are the same (load/suspension/tyre brand/size/type).

So let's discuss what you have tried and what has worked for you.

Me, Ive run 23psi at Landcruiser around the bush and dirt roads (quite rutted) and 18 psi successfully on the beaches around here. Both times was on stock Bridgestone 265/70/16 with no load in the tray but 2 adults and 2 kids in the car. Usually around town on the bitumen I'm running 35psi.

What says you?

If anyone hasn't heard of the 4 psi rule:

Tyre pressure difference from cold to hot (maybe 45 to 60 mins driving) 4psi just right, more than 4psi - under inflated, less than 4psi - over inflated.

I run them at 35 psi and drop them to 20psi on the beach. Have you checked the 4psi rule at 35psi on the standard tyres? Would be interested what it is, my guess (based on no evidence whatsoever) would be that 35psi would be on the high side.

Last edited:
I run BFG AT 265/75/16s at 35 on the road but over rocks (not allowed on the beaches in the uk) usually 20-25 psi. At this I usually cope as well as the guys running muds

I run my tyres (Stock D40 Continentals) at 40-44psi on the road, on the sand 22psi, or if I am pulling a trailer I do go as low as 18psi.....

I run a high psi on the road to reduce the rolling resistance off the tyre.. It improves the economy by quite a bit, tyres wear evenly and last longer....
The theroy for running tyres at 35-38psi, is to get a combination of smooth & comfortable ride without increasing rolling resistance and reducing tyre performance buy to much..

I run my D21 Ute at 32 unladen, I find the back end gets a little skittish if I inflate them any higher. I recently did a 5 day trip up to Teewah Beach fully laden and didn't bother dropping the pressure on the sand. We arrived a high tide in the dark (Don't ask me speak to my wife) and I had no problems at all. My theory is that if I did get bogged I had the option of dropping the pressure to suit. I've seen a lot of people letting the tyres downs as soon as they are off the ferry, I personally would like to keep that option in reserve.

I have been running my stock Continental H/T's at 28 psi in the dirt stuff and I drop them to 18psi for the beach. I know the car will do it with standard pressures but it runs much easier with them dropped and does much less damage to the tracks.

I run my D21 Ute at 32 unladen, I find the back end gets a little skittish if I inflate them any higher. I recently did a 5 day trip up to Teewah Beach fully laden and didn't bother dropping the pressure on the sand. We arrived a high tide in the dark (Don't ask me speak to my wife) and I had no problems at all. My theory is that if I did get bogged I had the option of dropping the pressure to suit. I've seen a lot of people letting the tyres downs as soon as they are off the ferry, I personally would like to keep that option in reserve.

You place a lot more strain on the rest of the drivetrain of the vehicle by not dropping tyre pressures. Yes you will more than likely be able to drive through it but the vehicle will do it a hell of a lot easier if you did. Also less damage to the tracks not that it matters much on the beach as the tide washes everything away anyway.

MTR wranglers 40-50 psi when fully loaded.
currantly running 35 front 30 rear for normal road use unloaded.
interesting 38 front makes the front end wander a bit on the road. with 35 its more stable. i guess the extra drag is giving it more toe on the steering.

I run BFG AT 265/75/16s at 35 on the road but over rocks (not allowed on the beaches in the uk) usually 20-25 psi. At this I usually cope as well as the guys running muds

There is beaches in the UK?? News to me. Sorry mate couldn't resist.

40 on road or more in the rear if carrying a load, 35- 25 gravel and corrrrrrrrugations, 18-13 on sand. Never had a blow out, delamination or spun tyre, Usually get 60000+ from All terrains. No real rule, just adjust the pressures to suit the conditions and as pressures come down so should your speed.

Usually run 38psi on road in the front and 36psi in the rear tyres on road.

Stockton sand dunes I drop them down to 16psi.

Out bush I drop them to 25psi.

Dave.

I run them at 35 psi and drop them to 20psi on the beach. Have you checked the 4psi rule at 35psi on the standard tyres? Would be interested what it is, my guess (based on no evidence whatsoever) would be that 35psi would be on the high side.

Checked them today, started all cold at 35 psi, after an hour on the highway they were all 39. Spot on for me. That was unloaded, 2 adults, 2 kids.

i've got mtz's in 265/75/R16
and on road i run 32 to 34 psi
off road on rocks and dirt i run 18 psi.
beach i run 24, cause i like donut's and dont want to roll a tyre off the rim

I have MTZ's in 265/75/16 and run mine at 32 &34
off road 20 and sand it veries from 16 to about 22

i run 35 for round town driving but dropped to 25 at LCMP. have not been on the beach yet with the nav but im thinking ill drop to the same pressure, maybe even a bit lower. while were on it ive heard that the MTZ's can run at quite low pressure, like around 15 psi. any guys with the same tyres heard the same or run these kinda pressure when tackling the tough stuff, would love to know.

Matty

38 around town...with so many roundabouts these days you need to run good pressures or you'll wear the edges too much

I run mine aat 40psi on the road, 30 on the dirt cos i dont trust the bridgestones enough to go much lower when i got a bit of speed up, and between 12psi and 22psi on the beach, 12 being on Soft Beach

Latest posts

Back