Recall For Alloy Wheels

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old.Tony

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I've heard from a reliable source that there's going to be a recall for Spanish-built D40s with both 16" and 17" alloy rims.

Apparently they're cracking down near the wheel nuts. 29,000 vehicles are supposed to be affected.

Nissan Australia are likely to announce the recall once they've obtained enough replacement rims, I guess. The Aust Gov Recall Website doesn't list it yet.

Until then guys, it might be wise to reach down and check your nuts. You don't want to see any cracks near them ... wait, what on EARTH am I saying???

think uk had simlair recall yrs ago.the steel inserts where stud comes through wheel were coming lose or something simlair.

I think you'll all just get a small piece of cable attached to the rim to keep them tethered to the car if they fall off.

Taken from the Frontier Forum,
1-14.jpg

2-10.jpg

Martin (the NRMA ute) brought this issue to light on the US forums and maybe here about 18 months ago. There was no official recall at the time and I don't remember the full story but there was a suggestion some of the earlier models were effected, as too how far that went into later models is anyones guess though.

Just went out and checked mine they seem OK but a new set would look good as there is a few scuffs etc. here's hoping! :dance3:

Yeah it's not every company that offers customers new rims after 18 months of ownership. The only downside of the deal is having to deal with the dealership nufties.

bugga, I now have 8 rims. I hope they replace all 8?

I will be thoughtlessly pissed if they don't.

Jason - haha mate, you scored well with that one!

I'd seen mention of the rim cracks before but hadn't heard of an official recall. This little bird that I heard from tells me that this time it's Australia's turn. As for whether they replace the rims or just check them is anybody's guess.

Krafty - mate, your dealer obviously didn't go to the same school as mine, because the Newcastle dealer was - and still is - brilliant.

They had a problem years ago with rims cracking on the Australian built Skyline GTS (The red series two) The recall on them was to repalce all rims.

Kind of a different story though, they only build 200 of the GTS2 model. Some slipped though the net (Nearly put cracks!) though as pre recall wheel sturn up now and again.

Does not look like the Pathfinder 17" rim though which is a bugger. New rims for a five year old car would be nice.

If they do a recall then cracks showing now or not will set the precedent so they might as well swap them all to save issues further down the track.Pathfinders got the 17" by default but for a bucket of cash you could have both sets .The Navara only got 16" from the factory on the 05,06,07 and I think the 08
Martin had cracks in all his wheels and Nissan pretty much said tuff .
The possible recall on the steel inserts was for drivers to check to make sure they were all there as they are only glued in anyway. However no insert made the wheel useless and there were no inserts available so if you lost one you threw away the wheel.

Yeah if they arent replacing the lot they best be x-raying the ones they arent replacing!

at the end of the day it will be cheaper to just replace them. Say for instance someone had an accident and it was proven that a cracked wheel was the cause. Nissan would be in a world of hurt if they had passed that particular set of wheels as being ok.
More than likely all the wheels were made in China and it must be either a design issue or we just got cheap and nasty wheels .
I dare say Ebay will be flooded with wheels soon lol

Ill take a set of these thanks
163_0910_29z+2010_nissan_frontier+wheel.jpg

Genuine Frontier wheels

Fark,i have twelve,eight bought second hand.I'll be pissed if i have to chuck eight rims out. :rant:

Krafty - mate, your dealer obviously didn't go to the same school as mine, because the Newcastle dealer was - and still is - brilliant.

They all go to the same school its just a matter of how the lobotomy takes. I've brought new cars off 9 Nissan dealers East of Melbourne and they are all the same, bullshit to make the sale and the amount varies depending on how much they think they can get away with it and cut as many corners as they can to get cars out of the workshop. Bullshit is easy to detect and wade through but poor workmanship makes it hard to go back, thankfully I only go back for recall issues.

I had a look at my rims before and just like when I looked about 18 months ago after reading Martin's story for the first time there is no issues with them. I'm happy to get a few new rims and replace the scratched ones but I really can't see them doing anything other than replacing them, like Aussie says it's too much risk to them to not do it. I' guessing it will take a while to import rims for 29,000 vehicles if that is the effected number, I doubt that sort of quantity would just be sitting stock piled somewhere so god knows how long the recall might take.

Thai built trucks seem slightly better thread by thread lol
Spainish ones break at the chassis, smaller diff, insufficient caster cams now dodgy wheels.
on the upside you get an outside temp reading on your dash.
I have to wind my window down to get that kind of info.

Back