Rec's where to Buy Canon 600D?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryc

Reaction score
We are in the market for a new digital SLR camera and have decided to return to the Canon brand.

The Boss is okay with the current $1599 offer from BL;
CANON - EOS 600D TKIS - EOS 600D TWIN LENS KIT except we are going to have to drive around to actually get one. floods in Japan and all that affecting stock.

Since she also now want a a real flash(other than the built in) and I want a decent bug bum capable macro, we thought it might be worth doing a bit of online shopping since we will not get those at BL and the only other decent local shop hasn't updated their web pages since 2006.

So, thought I'd ask if anyone here has purchased a Canon DSLR and where they went for a good deal.

Aussie dollar is too strong at the moment so spend time trawling overseas.
Purchase the body and lenses etc seperate to come in under 1k to avoid duty.

Google digital camera warehouse or digitalrev.

Digitalrev have great prices and like over 20 different packages per camera with different lenses, cards and other add ons ie flashes.

Im getting the 60D soon for when I get married overseas.

What they said.

Bloody Aido giving me ideas.

Might have look into getting some stuff overseas.

I went to a local store and bought my 500D with twin lenses and made sure I got a pair of UV lenses as well.

I'm not a professional photographer by a long shot - I'm actually quite hopeless at it. The (I think) 9 photos that I provided you guys for the Muster sight stuff were the best out of 190 photos that I took that weekend. I don't have a decent external flash - I just use the built-in one - because I have no idea what to do with all of it. I just push the button and hope!

My choice for buying locally versus overseas or through eBay - warranty. I know Canon is pretty reliable, but if something DOES screw up, it's the sort of investment that I don't want to be fretting over. Buying a grey import might have saved me $100 or even $200 but losing $1,000 if the thing failed at some point was really not high on my list of wants.

Buying a grey import might have saved me $100 or even $200 but losing $1,000 if the thing failed at some point was really not high on my list of wants.

Gotta agree with that, it's the main reason I got into selling computers all those years ago, I knew I didn't want to pay retail for my hobby so I got into the wholesale with a local supplier which meant I didn't have to deal direct with overseas, the costs of overseas when the dollar goes down and the time frame of waiting for repairs. Doesn't suit everyone but saved me a lot of hassles. As much as I hate shops like DSE I spent quite a while shopping around for my Canon and it was a DSE shop in the burb's that came up with the best deal but that was about 4 years ago things will no doubt have changed.

I use DWI (digital world international for all my camera gear, yes i know its a chinese company but they have an Au office, will mark all the goods as $999 to avoid tax and i have used them for warranty. Cheaper than DigitalRev (who i have used in the past) and if you are still unsure you can use the money saved for a 5 yr international warranty.

I have bought a Canon 7D and three "L"series f2.8 lenses through them and have recommended three other friends who have been very happy with their service.

you must check their prices. I always buy body seperate from lenses, the"kit" lenses offered for only 50-100 dollars more gives some indication of the build quality of those parts they are very plasticy and feel cheep.

Please feel free to have a look at my flickr albums

Collection: Landscape photos

Flickr: Willfell's Photostream

i would be very grateful for any comments

Will

Twin lens kit on that site is 1149, bear in mind what i said about kit lenses though, whatever lenses you get i would get circular polariser (CP) filters for them, they will "lift" your photos with deep blue skys, UV filters work well as protectors but very difficult to see the results compared with CP

Flash Gun, i would get the 430 exII (289 on that site au retail is x2 that) v good, I have the 580 and the only diff is the distance power output

if you are serious about macro you will need to get a dedicated prime lens with macro or macro extender tube (v diff to focus) , some zooms willl get min focus at around 20cm but poor magnification at this length

for canon camera and lens info try this site
Canon & Nikon Digital SLR Camera and Lens Reviews at The-Digital-Picture.com

+1 for DWI, I've used them for lenses and my D90 body. It does pay to ring them first to make sure that the body/lens you want is in stock or you might have a longer than expected wait.

Digital rev I've bought several lenses from as well without problems (they have a series of funny video reviews featuring a guy called Kai which is worth trawling to find out about various bodies).

I wouldn't buy locally for most camera stuff with the price difference being so large personally.

I bought my 600D a couple weeks ago from JB hifi they threw in 8gb card and a bag for $1600 that was on interest free card so could do cheaper for cash again.

Agree with not buying the twin lens kit, just buy the body and get a decent Tamron or Canon lens, you'll be glad you did.

- DWI/EBAY/B&H/ADORAMA if you dont care about warranty issues

- POTN for good cannon used stuff

- Or if you want Aussie warranty

digitalcamerawarehouse and CR Kennedy (will match grey market price) for sigma lenses - i.e. 105mm macro.

Good flashes and a sturdy tripod will be very important for Macro work.

Once you've got your gear hit up the POTN forums for endless useful threads

Cheers

P.S.

15-85 kit lens goes okay.

But your much better off getting one of the

17ish-50ish f/2.8 zooms for all round versatility.

A macro and that lens should keep you going for a long time.

Dont get gear obsessed (hard to do with the internet forums). Most photographers are not held up by their gear if you know what I mean

Also in my opinion forget the UV filters and put the money towards a tripod and remote release. Use lens hoods always, even inside, and that will protect your front element

17-55 EF-S f2.8 IS is an awesome lens for general and landscape work, equiv to approx 25-80mm on that body, it has 3 stop image stablilising, UD elements to minimise glare and CA and very very sharp with minimal CA. It could almost have been an L series lens if it was sealed. I know it is slightly over budget but you would not regret it, half the price of the L equivalent.

Or as mentioned above, wait out with the kit lens and in the mean time get a tripod, flash, and CP filter for same price difference and look to upgrade in the future. I tend to get the best quality lens I can afford knowing I will keep it and likely change the body in the future.

When buying a cp filter get a quality multicoated one like Hoya hd or pro-1, A picture is only as good as the cheapest piece of glass in it's lens and many people buy cheap filters and wonder why they get flaring and loose sharpness.

Just my two cents worth !

If you want I could sell my sigma 18-50 macro. its fast at f2.8 and sharp. But doesn't have image stabilization and isn't a true macro like the 105mm but focuses real close!

Been meaning to get a sigma 30mm

PM if your keen

Otherwise 17-55 EF-S f2.8 IS is the way to go

Okay, long story short(or not so).The boss decided it was going to be another local purchase as she suddenly wanted it for the weekend. Plus there is the local warranty. Sigh.

Thanks for the websites(and other info/ideas). There were a couple I hadn't checked out before. I will definitely use them for the other bits.

We ended up at a Camera house shop as it had the best online price out of the locals, plus it had all the simple accessories. Took the body with twin lens package for $1499, the 430(?) Speedlite flash($399) and the battery grip($239).

Hint, if you do this, take better prices from other outlets, local, in Aust and OS. These guys were prepared to haggle(don't know how close they'd go to OS), but I didn't have all the prices laid out for each item so probably didn't do as well as we could have.

The local warranty was what SWMBO wanted and we took the extra two years for $110.

Picked up a couple of UV filters; one basic and one good($ouch), a fast 16Gb SD card($shock) and our first ever special photography bag($69).

I'll have to do a bit of research before we buy the polarised and other filters and the macro gear(basically bugs bums). I also need to search carefully for (a) new tripod(s) instead of the crap tripod and stick that I have.

They made a couple of attempts to flog off some 6 DVD photo course for ~$250. FFS, We've both been using SLRs for both their ages added together - almost.

Now, we just have to get organised and get away on a few trips and really try it out.

No worries Terry, at least now you can get out there and start shooting!! There def comes a point when you just need to bite the bullet and get on with it. You have a good package there and will enjoy using it. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about any of it :)

If you get a mo, check out manfrotto tripods prob one of the best reputations on the market. for your setup the 190 series would be best may be with a pro centre column for macro work, somewhere around the $200-300 mark with head. 10 year warranty (2yr standard & 8 yr if you register the product) go into a shop with the camera, grip, long lens and flash all attached and get a feel for the build quality.

Something else to save up for!!!

Another one hurt by UV filter prices.

+1 for manfrotto

or benro if your after something lighter and more travel friendly. Not as stable as the manfrotto though.

You'll love it

Put in the time to learn the theory, shoot raw and shoot Manual. Sound like you have used some SLRs before so the Manual and aperture priority setting on the DSLRs should be familiar

Latest posts

Back