BFG A/T vs MICKEY THOMPSON ATZ 4rib

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both good tyres, the Mickey t is a bit more aggressive and will probably be a bit noisier, and look tougher. I have the BFG's and they are excellent on road and still quite good offroad as long as you lower the pressures.

I've got the bfg's and agree that you need to let them down a little extra to get them in the zone for offloading. Can't fault them yet after 10k kms. Was looking at the mickey 4 ribs when buying them but I got a free compressor with the bfg's so that helped me decide. Might try the 4 ribs next time.

We went with the BFG ATs as well.

The mistake I made was going up in size from standard (255/70). My tyres are 265/70 ($359 each), I could have bought 265/75 for $329 each but thought that a 5% increase was far too much. Next time I'm going to wait for 255/70s to become available.

The tyres are great - the reason I'm unhappy is my fuel consumption has risen. I don't do the rough off-road stuff, I tow on dirt/gravel/sand/corrugations and through rivers and creeks, but I do travel a lot (we notched up 58,000km over the weekend, bought the vehicle in late '09).

If I ever get the urge to do the heavier off-road stuff I'll put a 50mm lift and get spare rims to put the bigger tyres on.

I'm not sure about the Mickeys. I heard that they don't have the longevity, and while you'd think the BFGs would be a hard compound and slide all over the place (reported lifespan = 80-100,000km) they're actually quite stable, but I'm not an aggressive driver.

i am currently running the mickey t 4rib and love them. i had bfg's on my old d22 and they were also a great tyre, i got 120k from them. the main reason i went with the mickey's this time is that i wanted to try something a little more aggressive. so far after 10k i am very happy with them on and off the road, though they are a little bit noisier then the bfg but a little twist of the volume on the stereo and problem fixed.
i don't think you will be disappointed either way you go.
nath

I personally run the BFG AT's and have 70k plus on my 17" set. They are now a bit of a handful in the greasy wet conditions. Not bad when its wet wet but when greasy they are like driving on ice. I would still buy them again in a heartbeat.I use the truck on a racetrack and we have tried the BFG vs anything else guys ran and the BFG always won out as far as traction goes. Only time we found any issues was in thick sticky mud. I had to spin the wheels hard to clear the treads .Other than that never had any issues.

Mickey T now has the STZ on the market but they are still a new tyre.

Latest posts

Back