Tow bar. Bolt on / Weld on?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodge

Reaction score
Hey fellas. I'm getting mixed feedback from Nissan as well as from some aftermarket companies. Are towbars for a 2010 D22 Navara bolt on, or is there welding involved? If i take a look under the car there is bolt holes and stuff, so assuming its a bolt on application. However nissan told me their bar has some welding to be done as well as drilling. Also for the Hayman reese ones, im getting mixeed fedback on those too. Some say its weld others say its a straight forward bolt on and then the wiring to be done, plus some hole drilling for the plug fitment. Can someone shed some light on this for me?
Thanks ahead.

Ok that makes me feel better. So, even the hayman reese ones are bolt on? If thats the case i'll just buy one and fit it my self. As i had no welding experience (none), i wanted to make sure before i actually buy it. Thanks for the heads up blokes.

The genuine ones are bolt on. 2 holes need to be enlarged from memory or redrilled. East job though.
Buy the genuine Wiring harness to, it plugs into the original harness and is very neat.

Regards
Greg

id say after you bolt it in, weld the damn thing in. just had mine stolen over the weekend.

Mine is genuine and it only took Nissan an hour to bolt the wrong towbar and rebolt the new one and rewire. So its easy job. I got it done under warranty cause they stuffed up.

I've already got the Genuine harness for it. For some reason it was sitting at the back seat when picked the car up [new]. I never requested the towbar as an option nor was it included. But the actual tow-bar bit is what i was confused about. And that not too good to hear Eug. Lot of oxygen thieves out there ey? Sigh. Might have to take it somewhere for a quick weld to prevent that sort of crap.

I got a hayman reese on my 2010 STR. Apparently there is a redesigned towbar in the hayman reese specifically for the longer thai models. It drops from 3T towing capacity to 2.8T cause of the extra length.

I got a hayman reese on my 2010 STR. Apparently there is a redesigned towbar in the hayman reese specifically for the longer thai models. It drops from 3T towing capacity to 2.8T cause of the extra length.
Can you tell me if it's direct bolt on mate? I'd preffer the HR ones over the genuine. And also what sort of wallet damage did it do if i may ask so?

hodge, when i went around getting quotes to replace mine quite a number of the suppliers told me that nissan get HR to manufacture their 'genuine' tow packages. may as well skip the middle man and save yourself a few bucks.

i can't speak for the d22, but i found the best price to be autobarn (who's a listed HR stockist on their website). big price difference so it pays to shop around, all HR stuff. cheapest was $300, most expensive was $500 - part only. pays to shop around.

Can you tell me if it's direct bolt on mate? I'd preffer the HR ones over the genuine. And also what sort of wallet damage did it do if i may ask so?

Yep its a direct bolt on and sits nicely under the big chrome step on the back. It cost me $580 fitted from Wynnum Towbars in QLD.

I looked at a few other brands like TAG, Boronia and Trailboss which were around the $470 fitted mark but none of them looked as good as the Hayman Reese. Also be careful as when i was shopping around a few places tried to pass off the Trailboss brand as a Hayman Reese.

Also Hayman Reese had a lifetime warranty and I plan on keeping this ute for a while.

Yep, the Nissan one (G9162-VY050AU) just required 2 holes to be enlarged, and another 2 to be drilled to u/s chassis rail. Easy job. Can scan and post the instructions if that helps...

I might go snoop around a few places again tomorrow and see what i come up with. As i've already got the harness i just need the hardware. Might visit Autobarn first as you mentioned Eug and see what they got for me. I don't have any issues with bolting on and drilling etc, i'm pretty handy at that, but yeh, just wanted to make sure no welding is required for a proper fit :)

This thread reminded me i hadn't registered the warranty for the towbar yet so i went down to get the serial number and snapped a pic for ya.

IMAG0030.jpg

No welding just 3 bolts on each side.

Back