What a fool/Tool i am!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLI

Reaction score
What a fool/tool I am!

Summary

On a previous thread in “Have a Rant”. I posted a thread titled “Nightmare and more”

It was about my nightmare time 4 weeks ago heading up to Mann River reserve near Glen Innes in NSW. For those of you that have not read that thread, please read it as it sets the tone for the rest of the saga that I am about to inform you. It should all make sense now!

Over the last 4 weeks, since I blew my clutch in my D40 29th April 2011, I set out on a journey to rebuild her for our up-coming trip to Cape York on June 17th 2011.

The plane

I decided on doing the following;

1. Replace the dual mass clutch set-up with a Extreme excedy single mass flywheel set-
up from Direct Clutch services in Brisbane.

2. Replace the original exhaust system with a 2.75 inch mandrel bend exhaust system
from Beaudesert exhausts.

3. I decided on fitting a dual battery system, ARB fridge and fridge slide.

4. I also fitted an ARB roof rack and pull out awning.

5. Replace old Navara rotors with DBA 4x4 slotted survival rotors

5. Finally, install my old auto-meter gauges, Boost, oil and water temp. I also would fit
my old Scinitex EGT gauge.

The drama

A part from Nissan sending me the wrong parts (3 times), even when I gave them built date year/month. The VIN and model numbers and where the vehicle was made. (Spain)
After 3 weeks, I finally got the correct rocker cover gasket, exhaust manifold gasket and top and bottom radiators hoses!

Whilst waiting for those parts to arrive, I fitted everything accept the gauges. I was interrupted so several occasions to help my mates prepare their vehicles for our trip to Cape York.

I thought to say time I would seek out advise on the forum enquiring about how to install my gauges. I sent a series of thread’s in which I received really good advice! However, due to my busy schedule with work, family and voluntary commitments. I somehow f--ked-up on the installation side.

The Problem

It started last Friday, when I was driving, my boost gauge would go from 0 to 25psi at idle and when I stated moving the needle would go of the dial, hmm, I side to myself! This is a job for the forum so I posted a thread seeking help. These are the responses I received;

1.DVSFPV states,

“seems more electrical than a boost problem to me mate, i can tell you that when you start an engine it doesn’t boost let alone to 30psi lol i would check your wiring like earth point and your positive mine goes to negative when the ignition is first turned on”.

2. Old Tony states;

“What dvs said. There's zip-all boost below about 1400rpm and the boost only starts coming on strong at 1800rpm and over. Peak torque of the 2.5CRD is at about 2,000rpm and that's the point in the RPM range where the most power is obtained for the least amount of fuel, which should then equate to your "sweet spot" for maximising fuel economy”.

Nothing like a tangent, eh?

3. Dave admin states;

“My old Auto meter pyro does that at times. I went to VDO as I have found auto meter to be average”.

Saturday 28th May, my mate brings his 80 series over; we swap his auto-boost gauge with mine. (Alarm bells start ringing) Its working fine on my mate’s truck! Hmm, hmmmmm!
Houston, we have a problem! I received the following advice from Tweaks and Old Tony stating;

Tweaks;

“I wonder if it’s electrical problem. Some gauges do a self test when they first turn on. Needle swings all the way round. Check your power and earth connections.”

Old Tony;

“If its vacuum/pressure operated then something weird is happening.

At 26psi of boost (almost 2 atmospheres) your air plumbing will be bulging and the engine should be putting out a considerable amount of power. They're supposed to peak at 18-24psi.

At idle, there is no boost at all, so there must be something not quite right about the connection.

How does the gauge connect into the intercooler? What steps did you take to fit it there (eg "drill a hole, insert a supplied plug with vacuum line with Loctite applied to thread"). If the connection between the intercooler and the gauge is a wire and not a tube, then the thing you installed in the intercooler is a sensor and the wiring of the gauge may be incorrect.

If your gauge is connected by a tube/pipe to the intercooler, I have no answer - at idle, there's supposed to be a vacuum (less pressure than 1 atmosphere) in there”.

The embarrassment

What had actually occurred, whilst fitting all pipes and wiring through the fire-wall, both the boost and oil pressure lines were copper fitted with black flexible plastic loom (are you starting to see the picture!) What I had done was to fit the oil line to the boost gauge and yesterday, I fitted the boost line to the oil gauge. So when I started my Navara, the bloody oil was pushing the boost gauge needle to 25psi at idle, so when I started to drive, the needle would go of the dial. I wondered why my oil pressure was so low!

I recommend to the forum and the administration that we should have a “Dick-Head of the month” thread! I will be the inaugural winner for this month (I cannot believe what I did)

My apologies to DVSFPY, Dave, Old Tony and Tweaks!

PS, and I told you guys on the forum that I was Irish/English, I can here the jokes starting!

My embarrassment regards,

RLI
:suicide2:

Another good read ... even if it is at your own expense.

At least you are smart enough to ask the right questions when things do not seem to be right. And there are folks here that are very forthright with assistance.

Glad you got it all sorted out RLI.

You sir have become one if my favourites on this forum, with only as little posts that you have, twice you have given us awesome stories, you should come on vnog trips, would be great around the campfire lol all the best mate

You sir have become one if my favourites on this forum, with only as little posts that you have, twice you have given us awesome stories, you should come on vnog trips, would be great around the campfire lol all the best mate

LOL ... i'll second that !!!

YEAH ... but i let myself get set up, just so you get your jollies ...

G,day Woody,

Hey! they cannot stop us from laughing mate!

It reminds me of a lecturer at uni, who reminded us during a lecture of the following days final exam.

The vingar titted, high healed feminist hilter stated

"I won't tolerate any excuses for you not being here tomorrow.

I might consider a nuclear attack or a serious personal injury, illness, or a death in your immediate family, but that's it, no other excuses whatsoever!"

A smart-arsed guy at the back of the room raised his hand behind me
asked,

'What would happen if I came in tomorrow suffering from complete and utter sexual exhaustion?'

The entire class was reduced to laughter!

When she finally restored silence, she smiled knowingly at the student, shook her head and said,

'Well, I suppose you'd have to write with your other hand'.

Regards,

RLI

:rock:

Latest posts

Back