Front Suspension Advice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
I have a stock D40 king cab with steel bar and will be fitting a winch. It's a 2010 Thai build ST-X.

I thought I had my front end suspension upgrade worked out but now I am confused again.

I'm building up the D40 for touring, it must be reliable, comfortable and capable, I don't want anything shaking loose after driving over a few 100k's of outback corrugations. This truck is also my daily driver, so it has to remain legal.

I know there are lots of (approximately) 2" lift kits around, but the real lift I'd like to get is the distance from ground to bottom of front diff.

I'm going to be fitting a 2" lift kit, as the front end is currently severely shagged out. I know the easiest way to get the ground to bottom of front diff lift is to fit bigger tyres, so, what do I need to do to fit bigger tyres??

Body lift? Calmini lift, not sure if that's legal in Vic? I really don't want to stuff around with engineers reports and would like to keep Nissan happy so they wont run away from their warranty obligations.

If I could fit 33's I'd be over the moon. I live in Vic.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
iv got 4inch lift on the front of my nav (2inch spring + 2inch spacer) and i think i could possible just fit 33's as is if not maybe need a bodylift aswell. anything over 2" (40mm) lift is illegal and body lifts on vehicles fitted with airbags is also inllegal unless engineered

Onlock 2" = 50mm lol
But otherwise like he said.
Best find out what are the legalities in VIC. If its like the ACT ( have pity on me) then your only allowed certain tyres sizes and the 50mm lift is a total amount so tyre's plus suspension or tyres plus body lift
Just rewad from another post that body lifts on vehicles fitted with Air Bags is a definate no no in VIC.
Have a chat with Dion

Last edited:
sorry your right aussie, in victoria we can have a 2" lift and max tyre size on a d40 is 265/75-16 or 32" in old terms

ok Im pickin on you again Onlock lol just cos I can
we cant run 32" only 31.5" lol
tyresizes.jpg

I must admit I'm not too worried about staying legal with tyre sizes as you can simply unbolt them and bolt on a smaller set.

I've started wondering what gets in the way with regards to bigger tyres on the front and what they hit? Is there much that get's in the way?

honestly after doing the 4inch on mine, it doesnt look that high compared to some of the patrols going around and it sits a lil higher than the rear with only 2" kit in. with 33's on a setup like mine i dont think anything else will need to be modified maybe a little bit of shaping of the inner gaurd

ill be taking some photos either on the weekend or next week of the car as it sits as iv only just put in the extra 2" lift, only thing is you will also have to do something about the upper control arms as mine are pretty much resting on the coil hat

OK, thanks. I measued my front end tonight. 700mm drivers side and 710mm passenger side. from bottom of rim to bottom of front guard.

just measured mine for ya

820mm passenger side 815mm drivers side

That's about 4-5 inches higher than mine (but mine is shagged). Is that from bottom of rim to bottom of guard? I'm guessing it is. What gear did you use to lift your truck Onlock?

Yeah thats from bottom of rim to bottom of gaurd, thats with ironman 2" lift all round and 2" prg strut spacers on the front

Think I've settled on the Tough Dog adjustable front shocks and maybe the 50mm Snake Racing coils.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these components?????

Hey guys I got the old man emu 40mm rear suspension and the 30mm front struts and coils. The local 4wd shop told me I couldn't go any higher in the front but I hate the look of the nose down. Am I able to get the extra 10mm at the front to level it out?

Latest posts

Back