Filled up with petrol

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcdiesel

Reaction score
Had a petrol territory now a diesel - wife filled D40 up from 1/4 to full then drove 30km to home , as soon as I went near the vehicle I could smell it . Pulled tank , cleaned it , changed filter , primed clean diesel through it and started it - ran for a couple of minutes then stopped to check for leaks etc then went for a drive - ran normally for about 5km then derated to 2500 rpm , no engine light or dpf let the engine cool down and she was back to normal but sporadically derates any clues to any damage , still under warranty but I don,t think this would qualify lol:sad:

Ouch, Worst case scenario, you'll need a new pump, fuel rail and injectors. I would still give Nissan a go at least for a diagnosis, with a bit of luck your insurance might come to the party as the bill could be around $5K+.

Good luck

Pump seals could be dead from the ULP.

I have had a customer do the same thing. They drove the car I would say 150km's maybe more before it died.

As they were on a tight budget they wanted to see if it would run after putting diesel through it, So I drained refilled etc... and it ran fine :0

Not heard back from them yet and that was close to 2 years ago.

Just out of curiosity, how will nissan know that it got filled with petrol? ;)

They won,t - I won,t be telling them , the engine does,nt seem to have any less power when it is running well no strange noises but 20km in second is all she,ll do until you turn it off and let it cool down and off she goes again Thanks for the replies fellas

My wife actually stopped and started to fill the tank with petrol as well but after about 30 l she realized and just said to herself oh well! and filled the rest with diesel. She didn't tell me until she had filled up 2 more times just to be sure.

My wife actually stopped and started to fill the tank with petrol as well but after about 30 l she realized and just said to herself oh well! and filled the rest with diesel. She didn't tell me until she had filled up 2 more times just to be sure.

They are sneaky buggers with no appreciation for anything mechanical.

Just for that, I'm gunna go out & buy something for my D40 & not tell my wife.

I'm sure she must deserve it.

P.S good luck with your problem.

I've been thinking about this issue - it's quite possible that the unleaded fuel has caused an issue in your CAT. You don't specify which model D40 it is, so it's also possible that it's got a DPF and that has a problem too.

Petrol doesn't kill a diesel completely. They even offer petrol injection kits which squeezes a small amount of petrol into the mix which improves the combustion and provides more power (ChipIt offers such a kit and you can see it here).

I'd be looking at seals etc too, because petrol is quite a strong solvent, compared to the oily nature of diesel. If you take it back to the dealer, and the service person isn't your average drone, they'll spot the damage, know what causes it and call you on it.

First thing you might want to do is check the fuel lines - I'd give the primer bulb a few squeezes to start with, see if it takes more than 3-4 pumps to get it hard which would indicate a leak. Toss some diesel injector cleaner in just to try cleaning things up and see how that goes.

Thanks for the replies and sorry about the lack of imformation . YD25DDTI engine and yes it has a dpf it,s plated mfg 09 reg 2010 Model D40D4YALTV st-x titanium , even though I,ve removed and cleaned tank etc I can still smell fumes Idon,t know if I,m being paranoid or just looking for trouble and I agree any tech doing his job will know that it,s been messed with I,ll do what you suggested tony and see what I can find Thankyou

Love your avatar Joe ---- your not a Kawasaki fan are you?
Used that same pic as my avatar on another forum. Most people actually believed that was me and whenever I met someone from the forum they always commented that they envisaged me to be cranky old Jesus!

G'day Aido,

Bugger, I have been found out & I thought I was being original.

Nah, no Kawasaki in this household. Google image search for "hobo" & all will be revealed.

I had some old codger (well older than me anyway) as my avatar previously which gave me a fair bit of amusement.

Oops a weeny bit off topic :jester:

Catch ya

Update _Did as Old tony suggested and found that the suction hose from the primer bulb to the filter was loose , when I took the clamp off before I inadvertently dropped the little round spacer off the clamp and did it up but it was,nt putting pressure to the fuel hose , replaced the clamp - primed and ran then I left her sitting for a while went back and primed 3 or 4 times bulb went firm and did,nt lose pressure , I have since run a complete tank through her and no derates so here,s hoping - Thanks fellas

Good Work from Old Tony.Good to hear the problem solved.
My thought would have been to force a fuel re-learn after replacing the fuel filter

How do you do that if you don,t mind me asking because as of today everytime I go from revs to idle it shuts down to 2500 / turn key of and restart and it,s good for a time but a pain at traffic lights

Reset the ECU. The fastest way is to remove the battery negative, step on the brake pedal to consume any remaining power in the ECU, then reconnect the battery. Have the car radio PIN handy. If you take it for a nice gentle unladen drive afterwards (max 2500rpm, max 85km/h) you'll finish the learning cycle.

Took the directions given and everything is back to normal - does,nt look like anything major has happened internally Thanks again Old tony and Rickstar

Had a petrol territory now a diesel - wife filled D40 up from 1/4 to full then drove 30km to home , as soon as I went near the vehicle I could smell it . Pulled tank , cleaned it , changed filter , primed clean diesel through it and started it - ran for a couple of minutes then stopped to check for leaks etc then went for a drive - ran normally for about 5km then derated to 2500 rpm , no engine light or dpf let the engine cool down and she was back to normal but sporadically derates any clues to any damage , still under warranty but I don,t think this would qualify lol:sad:

I did the same and had no problems at all, I know couple people that mix in a bit of ulp in every now and then, can't remember why but I'm not encouraging it, I changed fuel filter and that's it

Latest posts

Back