Starter motor removal (replacement pending)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davess

Reaction score
Hey all, so this week the D21 decided it wanted a new starter motor. Friday night on the way to pick up master 6 for the weekend I stopped at Autobarn, leaving there the starter made a very mechanical noise. Not the normal shriek of a worn gear reduction starter it was worse, anyway it started. I get to my son's place to pick him up try to start it and all I get is the "click" of a dead battery or starter no problem I carry a multi meter and the battery is at 12.87 volts. After a few tries it fires up but sounds bad a metallic grinding noise of sorts (I'm starting to worry at this point).

So Saturday morning rolls around and I decide to pull out the starter to check it over, I've pulled down a Maverick starter before so I figure it's not going to be much different... wrong, so very wrong. After looking I see the only way into the engine where the starter is is via the D/S wheel arch.

P1010244.jpg

And then you need to unbolt the diff breather, fuel line and lpg flex line just to get to the starter and unbolt it. Did this and removed it, once out I noticed the problem pretty fast.

P1010246.jpg

I noticed the throw out gear seemed loose, so I pulled it out to have a look and there was play in the shaft. This was because the bearing at the front of the shaft had collapsed.

P1010247.jpg

You can see the cage is missing and the bearings are loose in their race, not sure if any have escaped or not.

P1010248.jpg

So now to source a new starter, not an easy proposition at 11am on a Saturday.... Tried ebay and found one on Blackburn but they closed at 12 and the starter in question was at their warehouse and not available still Monday, tried a few wreckers found one on Williamstown but they shut at 2 and I could not get there in time. Thought I found one at South Gippsland Highway but they had the 8 tooth D21 version there. At this point it's 4, so time to give up and wait till Monday.

Anyway that's the story so far, the car is on stands wheel off in the driveway (making my place look kinda redneck) waiting for the parts. So if anyone has a D21 89 tooth starter I'd be happy to purchase it. Even happier if you live in Melbourne...

Hi mate,

Fancy a drive to Wandong 3758?

Or it you're happy to wait till Monday, Preston?

Yeah starter motors are a pain in tue butt. Wheel arch is the best way I've found.
Got one here but NQ might be too far for you :)

Trying the Nissan in wrecker in Williamstown Monday morning. Preston is interesting I could get that picked up easy enough, and as for wait, ha it's nearly Monday and I don't need it till Friday so I'm in no hurry.

Anyone know whether the removal process is the same for a D22 with V6 and is it possible to do without being on a hoist

Latest posts

Back