Issues with recently installed Tough dog lift kit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflow78

Reaction score
I recently installed the tough dog lift kit with adjustable rears to find even on the lowest setting that the the ride is really stiff (feel every little bump on the road), is this normal?

Also i find that i get creaking coming from the rear when turning left to right and sometimes from the front when almost full lock over a bump

Does anyone know why either of the two are happening?

Check your rear suspension bushes they may be binding, otherwise the springs are too stiff.

Creaking sounds are fairly normal,but one cause is the plastic stops that get worn on the front hubs. A 22 owner can give you more advice on those.

If turning on full lock, the creaking is the stops as as mentioned. Plenty of info on here about that. Cant stop it appart from applying grease to the spots and not turning using full lock.

I also get the creaking when turing left (not full lock at all). Seems on a cold morning it is even louder. Mine almost sounds like it comes from the middle/driverside of the car and from the back of the car. i was thinking it was just the rear leaf springs, rubber bushes or something like that, however if i bounce in the tub, or rock the car side to side, i cant get it to make the noise.

Are creaking/bouncy knocky noises common on D22's?

Last edited:
If turning on full lock, the creaking is the stops as as mentioned. Plenty of info on here about that. Cant stop it appart from applying grease to the spots and not turning using full lock.

I also get the creaking when turing left (not full lock at all). Seems on a cold morning it is even louder. Mine almost sounds like it comes from the middle/driverside of the car and from the back of the car. i was thinking it was just the rear leaf springs, rubber bushes or something like that, however if i bounce in the tub, or rock the car side to side, i cant get it to make the noise.

Are creaking/bouncy knocky noises common on D22's?

i've got the same creaking as you peteyen. loosened and re-tightened the leaf springs. sprayed tyre shine on all the rubber bushes i can see in the rear suspension with some tyre shine and it was gone.. few days later it rains and it was back to square one. so i think it's just old rubber bushes.. but i don't really bother with it.

Noworries. Plan on changing out the rear leafs at some stage and using greasable shackles with poly bushes, hopefully that will get rid of it.

Jflow78, did you use rubber or poly/greasable bushes in the kit?

The noise wouldnt bother me if i knew it was normal and no damage was being caused, but if its caused from something thats worn and needs replacing thats different. Hopefully just the rubber bushes like you said.

Pete

and the grinding noise at full lock is the stoppers hitting, the metal stopper plate. just grease them up and u should be sweet

Noworries. Plan on changing out the rear leafs at some stage and using greasable shackles with poly bushes, hopefully that will get rid of it.

Jflow78, did you use rubber or poly/greasable bushes in the kit?

The noise wouldnt bother me if i knew it was normal and no damage was being caused, but if its caused from something thats worn and needs replacing thats different. Hopefully just the rubber bushes like you said.

Pete

Thanks guys, yeah the kit installed came with new rear leafs (light load) and poly bushes only for the shakles i think, keeping in mind that the car had only 2000km when upgrade was done. still using original shackles and not greasable. The thing that concerns me the most is how stiff the truck is, i expected that the ride would soften with new built for purpose over size shocks.

the front noise will be like every one has said in regards to the stops, just check that the dome head nuts have not started to bur up from not having grease on them.
i am no suspension expert by any means but from what i have been told poly bushes are meant to be even noisier then rubber and a prone to squeaks. greasable shackles can make things a bit better for both the life of the bushes and the noise.
im sure some one will correct me but as far as how stiff the ride is i would think it has to be the springs as the shocks are only there to dampen the action/compression of the spring (slow it down or allow it to work faster) and for rebound and as far as i know thats what the adjustments are for give you more or less of either one. thats why when people carry heavy loads they dont just put on shocks to cope with the weight they go to a heavier spring and then shocks to cope with the action of that spring.
hope thats right and helps a little. nath

I have the full toughdog lift kit in my d22 and it is a bit bouncyer in th rear coz the leafs that toughdog give can take a greater load and they also have an extra 2 leafs in th pack tgat y thy are stiffer

Latest posts

Back