tub storage and extra fuel tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stremd22

Reaction score
hey all

started on my custom storage drawers in my tub today and have decided to go back from the tail gate 800mm, then have a cavity from there back (roughly 300mm) for a second fuel tank.. coming up as high as the wheel arch so i can fit a false top over the lot..
My canopy is arb with gas strut lift ups on the sides, was wondering is it legal to just open these sides and fill it up from there or will i have to drill a hole in the side of my tub?

any answers or better ideas appreciated..

will most likely be made out of 3mm alluminum, then just gravity fed into the main tank?? yep once i've laid the carpet and its looking the goods ill post them up, been taking step by step pics.

pics are up in my albums.. not sure how to post them on this thread, have a look and let me kno what you all think.. cheers!

There is instructions in the site support thread explaining how to post your pics if you want to.

I am not sure how the fuel filling would be considered. There are dangers in filling fuel tanks, static electricity can ignite the fuel. I don't know if aux tanks have to be engineer-certified (I'll find out in November) but that's something to look at. Jerry cans need to be filled on the ground to prevent static build-up - your tank should incorporate some means of dealing with static electricity - even if it's only for your own personal safety.

I am not sure how the fuel filling would be considered. There are dangers in filling fuel tanks, static electricity can ignite the fuel. I don't know if aux tanks have to be engineer-certified (I'll find out in November) but that's something to look at. Jerry cans need to be filled on the ground to prevent static build-up - your tank should incorporate some means of dealing with static electricity - even if it's only for your own personal safety.

actually technically no. so long as you disipate and equalize the static charge on your fuel container with the fuel bowser, you can fill up your fuel tanks where ever you want. I know there is a proper procedure for this (heard it from a man who fuelled and worked on RAAF jets for a living), but i'm unsure exactly on what it is. for my recent journey, i had my jerry's strapped into the tub and just stuck the filler nozzle through my canopy window to fill them.

I'm more thinking about the warnings posted in service stations that fuel containers (like jerry cans) need to be on the ground when filled to prevent an accident. I'm concerned more for his safety, than any regulations - and while there might be an official procedure used in the military, I don't think it's completely adequate to try and use that in practice.

In a downpour when you're running out of daylight and still have some way to go, you're probably not going to get out the Official RAAF Auxiliary Tank Refuelling Anti-Static Management Checklist - you'll probably just stuff the nozzle in the tank and squeeze the trigger.

Surely there's a way to remove the risk - after all, we fill our normal fuel tank all the time and it's not a problem. Is it just a case of ensuring that the fuel tank itself contacts bare metal somehow? Or the neck of the nozzle has contact with the metal framework?

yeah, from memory (and i warn you this is only a vague recollection, so don't take this as fact!) the procedure is as simple as touch the bowser, touch the container, keep you hand on the nozzle as you bring it over to the container, then start filling. which honestly, if you're filling jerry's. is basically what you do anyway.

again, i'm not entirely sure about it, but it honestly is as simple as that. the idea is to make sure you equalize the static charge of the jerry cans with that of the bowser, equal charge, = no spark= safe fuelling.

thats all that happens when you put your jerry can on the ground. Any potential static charge is dissipated down to earth, which the bowser is at...thus no spark = safe refuelling.

Not sure but i would have thought if your running diesel it wont matter how you fill or empty the tank as a spark wont ignite diesel ????????

Diesel might be difficult to ignite but it's not something I'd be willing to take a chance on.

Imagine how you'd feel with your wife and children in there, watching their faces as a spark DOES ignite it by some stupid chance and you've just gotta stand there and watch 'em burn.

I'd neck myself if that happened. Sorry, I'd rather take the small amount of effort to make sure it can't happen. Even the visual I'm getting thinking about it is hard to bear.

actually technically no. so long as you disipate and equalize the static charge on your fuel container with the fuel bowser, you can fill up your fuel tanks where ever you want. I know there is a proper procedure for this (heard it from a man who fuelled and worked on RAAF jets for a living), but i'm unsure exactly on what it is. for my recent journey, i had my jerry's strapped into the tub and just stuck the filler nozzle through my canopy window to fill them.

Planes always clamp a lead on before they put the petrol in to dissipate any charge

justdrinkbeer said:
Planes always clamp a lead on before they put the petrol in to dissipate any charge

Yeah, I know. I spent the better part of today, and probably tomorrow. Installing these specialized points at the RAAF base. But there always a "bush" way of achieving the same result.

So long as the charge is equalized, be it by putting the jerrycan on the ground, or some other fangled method...

And just to play devils advocate. Rubber is an insulator. Tyres are rubber. How is your vehicle grounded when you fill up your nav?

As long as the tank is earthed to the chassis or engine block you shouldn't have a problem with static electricity

few pics here

Attachments

• 20120411_4.jpg
    20120411_4.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 20120411_6.jpg
    20120411_6.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 20120411_17.jpg
    20120411_17.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 20120411_31.jpg
    20120411_31.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 20120411_36.jpg
    20120411_36.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 191
rightio last lot of pics, finally got around to putting some up for everyone to critique!

quick run down, extra tank (dopey me actually didnt take any photos of) was made out of 3mm alli and gained me around 45 extra litres which easily see's over 1000 clicks before stops. gravity fed into the main tank via a one way solonoid switch i got from a wreckers which is teed to a led swith up front. filling up is done easily via the side gas strut window of my canopy.. only troubles ive had is because its gravity fed when i switched over it fed in until the second tank couldnt breathe. which led to a small 1mm hole been drilled in the cap for a quick fix out bush and was all sweet then.. need to sort something out a little better down the track.

Drawers themselves, 12mm ply throughout with all the bare wood showing been 2 pac clear coated. the rest covered with marine carpet. 100kg rated runners with stainless t handles. aux outlet for the fridge. then some ali angle, sliders and checker plate to pretty it up a little.. let me kno what ya think. cheers.

Attachments

• 20120411_62.jpg
    20120411_62.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 20120411_63.jpg
    20120411_63.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 20120411_61.jpg
    20120411_61.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 20120411_48.jpg
    20120411_48.jpg