fuel economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes570

Reaction score
hey all
i was just wondering if anyone has the same problem as me!
if i travel at 110 km i use more deisel then if i travel at 90km or less? my revs sit about 2900-3100 i dont know why. is this commen to the d22 03 models. can someone help me plz.

It takes more energy to travel faster.

In answer to the high revs in OD, it's because you have a Nissan. They like to set them up to cruise at high revs because they haven't the grunt to cruise at low revs. Especially if you have the workhorse single cab.

Yep mine is the same. I use less fuel city driving than country driving. Gearbox ratios are crap. 1st is too high and 5th is too low.

It's because your trying to push something with the aerodynamics of a brick faster through the air. It takes more energy as Pro-Nav has already said. Every time you add a roof rack, wider tyres, bullbars etc your adding more frontal area, so you have to burn more fuel to do the same speed as before.

Yep mine is the same. I use less fuel city driving than country driving. Gearbox ratios are crap. 1st is too high and 5th is too low.

bit of catch 22. to do a low first and high 5th means wide rpm spacing between the gears, so you end up reving it to redline on every gearchange just to do normal driving.
i've driven small trucks that where a bit like that. very low 1st and 2nd and normal 3rd. you had to rev it red line in 2nd otherwise you just about stop when you went to 3rd. you just do not have the power at 1500 rpm to be able to accelerate, so you where stuck crawling at 30km/h.

my toyota has great 1st gear for going slow and good spacing between the gears so its good to drive. however at 100km/h its doing 3200 rpm
:( not to good for a diesel, not good for economy or the engine oil.

thats the curse of diesels and their small rpm range. we really need minimum of 6 speed gearboxes at the very least. tho a split shift on the 5 speed will do me ;)

if you really want better cruising rpm, fit an overdrive.

we really need minimum of 6 speed gearboxes at the very least. tho a split shift on the 5 speed will do me ;)

if you really want better cruising rpm, fit an overdrive.[/QUOTE]

thats true lol but is it worth it? do you konw how much it costs for overdrive and if i can on a duel cab nav 03 with a standed zd30 engien an 5 steed gear box?

i have no idea what an overdrive setup would cost. it certainly wouldn't be cheap and simple.
easier and cheaper just to drive slower ;)

mine is the same wes, it chews more juice when i got over 110 so i just cruise on 100 holding about 2750 rpm. its the most economical speed for my nav, others might be a bit different running bigger tyres thou

Matty

90km/h is certainly more economical. so is getting stuck in 80km/h traffic.
the old rule of thumb was that generally jap vehicles are designed for max economy at 80km/h. no idea why but a lot do seam to be best around that speed.
note thats speed not rpm. a small increase in speed is a bigger increase in load due to friction (reguadless of what rpm your at).

Whats the axle code on the compliance plate.

Will be CA43 or something like that.

Dave.

The CA43 will tell you the rear diff is the C200 and the diff ratio is 4.3 to 1.

In Maddogcr's case he is running a C200 rear diff and the diff ratio is 3.9 to 1.

Only seen 1 other YD25 powered D22 running 3.9 gear's, but the other one is a 4x4 STR.

Dave.

Yeah that will make a difference and the gearbox ratio's will affect the engine speed while driving.

Dave.

Mine's a CA48. You'll find that, with Japanese medium size pickups, they don't have the torque to move the car acceptably in top gear with a more normal diff ratio like 3.4. Even though the load is the same at 110km/h whether you have a ratio that gives you 2100rpm or 3500rpm, as you increase the engine speed you increase the friction within and that consumes more fuel.

cool
thanx you guys for the feed back really needed it i was starting to worry there is something wrong with my nav
thanx again
cheers

Latest posts

Back